Cleaning Liverock??

Once a week I use one of my maxi-900 to clean off my Lr is this okay??? besides clouding up tank for an hour it doesnt really seem to bother my fish. Does anyone else do this or should I stop doing this?? :rolleyes:

flydan

Hey!
I read a book, by John Tullock I think, and he called it the hurricane treatment and suggested it every six months or so just before you do a major water change. That way you suck up a lot of the detris material.
flydan

dhe420

I am a little confused about what you mean. Do you just take your powerhead and shoot it at the lr?? Doesnt this creates high amonia and nitrate levels? It seems like a good idea so any info anyone has on the proper way to do this please let us all know... Thanks Dave

flydan

Hey dhe420,
The author I read said to use your powerhead to blow around in the crevaces of your LR to simulate a hurricane in nature and clean out stuff that's rotting away in there and then do a major water change and suck out as much free floating stuff as you can. I assume it's the lesser of two evils and you end up with a healthier tank. :cool:

flydan

I found it! In John Tullock's book "Corals" by Barrons's on page 76 he says, "Twice a year, one can simulate the effects of a hurricane by using a powerhead held in the hand to direct a strong jet of water on, around, and between the rocks constituting the minireef. This will stir up a large amount of dibris. Running an extra canister filter on the tank for a day or two afterward will pick up much loose material, or one can simply do a large water change, siphoning off as much suspended matter as possible."
There! I feel better now. I'm not an expert or anything but I read a lot! :D

beth

Administrator
Staff member
While I certainly agree with the principal of that--cleaning up the LR, I can't believe the concept of simulating a hurrincane! LOL Anyone who has ever been in a hurricane knows very well that a 100 PH's aren't going to come close to what happens in water during a hurricane. Also, why would you want to create hurrincae condidtions in your tank?? Or in a reef for that matter? Hurricanes do considerable damage to reefs and have even killed them....so what's up with that simulation stuff???? I don't want to contradict the experts...but....perhaps I'm missing something?

It is always a good thing to emulate nature whenever possible in our tanks. Storms and hurricanes are Natures way of keeping the reef in check, and all the life therein and thereon in perfect balance. It is a natural thing.
Old and dying coral is "offed" during a storm. Many animals are stimulated and rejuvinated. New "real estate" is now available for new and stronger growth. Many organisms are washed clean of debris that may have been suffocating them--new growth almost immediately appears.
Storms are a good thing indeed. And yes, even the killer "once in a century" storms where nature decides to really clean up.
I too simulate a "storm" by blowing off the rock, and it always amazes me how much gunk comes off! And you think your tank is soooooo pristine. I do this quarterly, one storm per season..... :D I do it in conjunction with a water change, as many above have stated. I am equally amazed at how crystal clear my tank is after one of these storms. (Obviously, the next day.) I use a powerfilter with a little floss and carbon for 48 hours after the storm.
Well, it works for me. And my tank seems to benefit a great deal by the looks of it!
As always, my .02
Hermit

i3luedragon

Yeah, that does make sense. I was just rearranging my rocks last night, and when I moved my rocks, lots of gunk and nasty stuff came off of them. I even disturbed the sand bed so that leftover debris would fly around. This gave my Fluval 404 a chance to suck all of that nasty stuff in and right now it looks much cleaner than before. :p

flydan

Kinda the same thing happens after a forest fire! :p I think once or twice a year would be plenty in a healthy tank though. Lets not go nuts with this! Everything in moderation. :D

dugan

I have a turkey baster that is dedicated to the aquarium only... I use it to blow out the detritus that accumulates on & in the live rock over time.
Katie