Cleaning mag pumps

meowzer

OK...this is probably a dumb question
I am cleaning my mag pumps today
first it is the mag 7 that feed my skimmer....since I still have no skimmer :( I am soaking it in a water/vinegar solution first....then I am guessing that I have to unscrew the screws to get to the impeller......??
LOL...Believe it or not, I have never taken them apart (knocking head).....The mag 18...my return pump will be done after, BUT Obviously I have to shut down the sump to do that one
Just making sure there is nothing else I should do

meowzer

OK...LOL...that was one of the easiest things I have done yet HAHA
and I could not believe that they were not full of crud either.....especially the mag 18....I have NEVER cleaned that one....
BUT they are both clean now WHOOPIE

chain

Good Lord I haven't cleaned mine in a while either. Poo. I probably should go get on top of that. Good thing I read this. Thanks meo =)

meowzer

OK....Observation here.......Although the mag 18 did not seem very dirty......the pressure that is coming back into the tank seems much stronger....

chain

Yea I just got done cleaning mine. Im pretty embarassed at the condition they were in. Im surprised I didn't have a flood actually. So many little things to remember and I just completely dropped the ball on cleaning the pumps. My flow has increased dramatically but by the condition they were in I don't know how it couldn't have.

meowzer

LOL....out of sight...out of mind......Kinda like the inside of your windshield...you only think about it when you are in the car...haha