Cleaning outside glass

jwill275

My tank is about 6 weeks new, I've cycled and my water parmeters has been very good - 0 amonia, trite and trate salt 1.022, ph 8.4, alk 12dkh. Today I brought my water to LFS just to verify my readings, they told me my amonia was a little high and my ph was7.9. This did not coincide with my readings at home and I've been pretty consistent in past checks. In any event the lfs asked if I cleaned the front glass with windex, I had been using windex but took extreme care in ensuring it never touched the top of the tank. They told me the amonia can pass through the glass???? Is this true and what is the best way to clean the outside glass, I'm now using a biodegradable, vinrgar based product.

J

jrthomas40

i dont know about the windex going THROUGH the glass i think if that was the case then the water in the tank would me moving out of the tank...just my thought

matt b

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
i dont know about the windex going THROUGH the glass i think if that was the case then the water in the tank would me moving out of the tank...just my thought
ahah i know!

florida joe

Im sure they are referring to the ammonia air born spray that can settle on your water and not through your glass all our tanks are not air tight (canopy or glass covers sump and so on )

tarball

Yeah, theres no way the windex is going to pass "thru" the glass.
I use a regular towel to wipe the outside glass off. Works fine, a bit more labor but no chemicals.