Cleaning Questions

b_slate

I have had my tank for about 3 months now and my sand is starting to turn a redish brown. I have a cleanup crew of snails and hermits. I also have a pencil urchin. My snails to a fairly good job on the glass but the sand is getting filthy. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I need to get or do for the sand. Also alot of my snails go to the top of the aquarium and stay there instead of cleaning. Anybody else have this problem or know why they might be doing this??? Please Help!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by b_slate
I have had my tank for about 3 months now and my sand is starting to turn a redish brown. I have a cleanup crew of snails and hermits. I also have a pencil urchin. My snails to a fairly good job on the glass but the sand is getting filthy. Anybody have any suggestions as to what I need to get or do for the sand. Also alot of my snails go to the top of the aquarium and stay there instead of cleaning. Anybody else have this problem or know why they might be doing this??? Please Help!
Can't believe your Hermits isn't doing a thing to your sand bed, mine keeps it clean. How big is the tank anyway? readings? My snails stays mostly on the top too, but they do move around quite a bit. I had the same problem when my tank first cycled. I just siphon the stuffs out when I do a water change. It didn't bother anything...IT will eventually turn green once everything is right. How long do you keep your lights on? live rock? protein skimmer? Anyway, eventually they'll go away.

the reef

the snails could be getting some of the nutrients that are passing the filter if you have your watter flow only at the top they tend to stay in the curent so they can get the food on the top of the glass due to the curent being on the top glass.
as for your sand you need to sift it with the siphon when you do a watter change this will help take away debrese if you have to much debre on your sand then make shure you have enough gph to keep most of it getting caught in the sand

promisetbg

Originally Posted by b_slate
I have had my tank for about 3 months now and my sand is starting to turn a redish brown. !
Typical 3-4 month mark....Cyanobacteria.

reefnut

Originally Posted by The reef
you need to sift it with the siphon when you do a watter change this will help take away debrese if you have to much debre on your sand then make shure you have enough gph to keep most of it getting caught in the sand
Sand should never be siphoned... siphoning the sand will remove beneficial sand bed critters and cause more problems than anything.
What size is the tank?? A fighting or queen conch do an excellent job at keeping the sand bed clean. They do require larger tanks because they can grow huge. Other snails such as Nassarius Snails & Cerith Snails also do a good job of shifting the sand and keeping it clean.

merredeth

Originally Posted by Danish
How about cc - can I sipphone/vacuum cc to keep it clean :thinking:
You should be vacuuming it to keep it cleaned every so often. If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is what keeps the nitrates under control.
I'm still learning the 'whys' myself so I can't consider myself the expert here - but many who are well respected in my book post here. If I am EVER
mistaken, I hope they correct me.
Denise M.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by SweetFish
I have an awesome sandsifter starfish who keeps my sand perfect. Love him

Unfortunately he is also eating all of the infauna from your sandbed.