cleaning tank

d_mcnugent

my question is about the glass, what is the best way to clean it, both the inside and outside? i know that you cant use any cleaning stuff because of chemicals etc. what do you guys do? paper towels? how about the inside? just a sponge? i had one of those magnet cleaners but dont use it anymore because i scratched some of my glass when sand got caught up in it.

scsinet

I use the mag floats myself as part of my cleaning arsenol. You just have to be careful when you get near the bottom to check for sand.
Those work well for everyday quick cleaning.
The Kent Scrapers work about as great as great can get for getting rid of coraline on the front glass, etc. When the blade wears out, you can simply replace it. They are expensive but worth it IMO.
For the outside, contrary to what you may have heard, there are no problems using any glass cleaner as long as you make sure you DO NOT get any in the tank, either directly or from overspray, which can travel a long way in still air, or get picked up by canopy fans and driven into the water.
BUT, it doesn't seep through the glass or any of those other wives tales. What I do for this is spray the rag first in the next room, then clean the glass with the wet rag.
If you want to play it safe though, plain terrycloth rags and vinegar work well, and vinegar doesn't pose any real threat to an aquarium when introduced in small amounts.

jswan10

Instead of buying the sorta expensive razor scrappers, just go to the store and buy replacement blades for box cutter, hold it in your hand, stick hand in tank, and scrape the walls clean, mag floats get most but the blade helps clean all the corners and by the sand bed. works great. dont worry abt scracking the glass, it doesnt happen.

ifusayso

I use the magna float for the glass above sand level, a regular razor blade for sand level, and glass cleaner wipes for the outside glass. Works for me so far.

scsinet

Using razor blades has some drawbacks...
1. It's not a good idea to place your hands in the tank any more than necessary, as it introduces dirt, soaps, oils, risks you for infection, and screws up your skimmer. Cleaning is a task that's easily enough done without sticking your hands in. You can wear gloves to mitigate this problem, but the gloves cost near as much as a scraper does.
2. Razor blades often come with a thin coat of oil on them to prevent rusting, which you don't want in your water. You can wash the blades and rinse well if you want though.
3. Razor blades can very easily slice right through the sealant in the corners, sometimes without you even noticing. You need to be careful.
4. It's hard on your hands, and if you drop one, it can slice through coral flesh on the way down.
Some people also say that because they are steel, they leech harmful compounds into the water, but I doubt that's a problem, it's not in the water very long, but once one starts to rust you should stop using it.
Not saying it's the wrong way, just throwing some things to consider out there. I'm also certainly not saying that the expensive bling bling scrapers are the answer either.