cleaning the outside of the glass?

kelly shaw

what is the best thing to use to clean the outside of the glass? i get a film from the salt water and i can't get it to come clean. windex just smears it and has real bad streaks.

W

winstew

wipe it down with a damp rag let dry and then go over the streaks with windex... make sure yo spray the windex well away from the tank. I read something on here about a woman using corn starch and water mix... worth a try i guess.

hot883

Originally Posted by kelly shaw
what is the best thing to use to clean the outside of the glass? i get a film from the salt water and i can't get it to come clean. windex just smears it and has real bad streaks.
Don't use windex, it will get in the tank. What I do is wet a paper towel and wash it with that. Then take another paper towel and wipe it down or what works better is newspaper. STREAK FREE!

hot883

Originally Posted by Winstew
Widex goes through the glass?
Oh, your funny. No, it doesn't go through but over time why temp fate. Keep all cleaners away from the tank. I won't even let my wife spray anything in the living room where the tank is.

ifusayso

Do the chemicals penetrate the glass?
I used those windex wipes so that I did not have to worry about overspray. A little more expensive, but I'm obssessed with having the front glass always clean. I didn't have any ill effects.

W

winstew

I'm sorry hot i wasn't trying to come off as an ass.. I spray the windex on the paper towel outside.... I guess it was a misunderstanding i didn't mean to say spray the windex right on the tank... sorry again

hot883

I'm sorry hot i wasn't trying to come off as an ass.. I spray the windex on the paper towel outside.... I guess it was a misunderstanding i didn't mean to spray the windex right on the tank... sorry again
No harm. You should never use cleaning chemi's on the tank. It could very easy get inside by accident.

chipmaker

I never had to use anything but a damp paper towel and dry with a paper towel.........nothing should be on the tank that should not be removeable with water (finger prints, nose prints, salt etc), and if its dried right away it will be streak free.

O

oreo12

I have to agree just use distilled water on a paper towel never use windex or any type of cleaner.

auntkaren

I use straight white vinegar on a paper towel then wipe the vinegar off with a different dry paper towel. Smells alot like salad but it won't hurt the fish or the tank. :happyfish

cain420

use ro water! lol cant go wrong with that, and u should already have it handy... spray it on, wipe it off, then run back by it with a dry paper towel..

uberlink

I usually use DI water and then wipe everything off with a dry paper towel afterward. I occasionally use windex with vinegar on paper towel, but I don't spray it on or near the tank. Just use it to moisten the paper towel.

merredeth

wipe it down with a damp rag let dry and then go over the streaks with windex... make sure yo spray the windex well away from the tank. I read something on here about a woman using corn starch and water mix... worth a try i guess.
I am the person who wrote about cornstarch and water. It works amazingly well!
A couple of tablespoons in a Windex bottle of the cornstarch and fill it up with water.
Denise M.

kadella

I just bought a can of wipes that are specifically for aquarium use, it says it is safe to clean both inside & outsides of aquariums, I don't have it with me here at work, but it seem much more convenient than the water down & then dry method with RO water.. I found them at *****, I haven't tried them yet. Anyone try these? The do have ammonia-free glass cleaner too, still wouldn't spray within viscinity of the tank though... :joy:

ifusayso

Originally Posted by kadella
I just bought a can of wipes that are specifically for aquarium use, it says it is safe to clean both inside & outsides of aquariums, I don't have it with me here at work, but it seem much more convenient than the water down & then dry method with RO water.. I found them at *****, I haven't tried them yet. Anyone try these? The do have ammonia-free glass cleaner too, still wouldn't spray within viscinity of the tank though... :joy:
Let us know how those work. Sounds interesting. How much do they cost BTW?