Cleaning the wet/dry

smus

A couple of the comments on wet/dry filters have said the wet/drys are trate farms and you need to clean your wet/dry filter. This tank was ciclids for 3 years before I decided to try the saltwater. I was told not to ever clean my wet/dry and I haven't as of yet. How do I go about cleaning it? I have a 135 gal FO and am just ready to put my fish in (and remove the damsels!!) I would like to do all this before I go any further. Also it was mentioned that we could make our own skimmers? Could you tell me how to get the instructions to make a skimmer?? Thank You I read the comments every day and this has helped so much already.

darkborne

if you are using a wet dry filter with a biowheel do not clean the biowheel. the purpose of the biowheel is to grow aerobic bacteria that removes chemicals from the water (ie nitrites amonia) cleaning it defeats the purpose and it will take about 4 weeks for the bacteria to grow back

smus

Hi I cleaned it and all is very good. Its a tank type under the tank in the cabinet its quite large. I just removed all the media and lightly cleaned it (using the tank water in a bucket as someone told me to do) and then vacuumed all the debris out of the bottom and all is very well. Thanks to all of you for your help!!

the rock

the rock says...
i'm back to agreeing with ranger, keep in mind that by cleaning with anything other than tank water can launch the bacteria into your tank and will cloud your water massively, alot of people keep a few inverts in their sump to clean up the mess down there, you probably will find tons of copepods down there as well if you have live rock