Cleaning?

aquasafe

How would I clean A Saltwater Tank with sand in it? I dont have A saltwater tank yet but when I do it's gonna be A 50 gallon.So I can hold A Snowflake Eel And A Long Horned Cow Fish.Right now I have A 29 gallon freshwater tank.I really want to switch. :)

hardcrab67

I lightly siphoned the top of the sandbed and rock when I cycled my tank to get the die-off out, but once established I stopped. I have had plenty of FW and SW is a little different in some ways as far as maintainance to maintain water quality. The live sand and live rock are biological filters and breaks down waste and uses nutrients. The nitrogen "Cycle" is the breakdown from Ammonia then to Nitrite, and finally Nitrate. Bioload is another term you need to know, if the load is too great(too many fish, overfeeding) your biological filter can't compete w/ it and your water quality will go downhill quickly and livestock will suffer if not perish(less tolerate than FW), if not corrected fast. You still have to scrape algae now and again and water changes cannot be neglected. I test my water regularly, at least once a week. Get some books, read the archives on this board and others. Goggle it. The point is read until you feel comfortable to take the plunge. Then keep reading to overcome anything that might arise. I jumped in with both feet and started a Reef, Fish Only tanks are a little easier, but same basic rules still apply. Know the requirements for long term success and your halfway to achieving it. Hope this helped.

meisacao

I syphon mine to get old water out but I do not vacuum the sand bed. Get a clean up crew that sifts your sand to clean it. BTW, a long horned cow fish is not a good idea for a 50 gallon. They need a min. of 125 gallons because they get VERY large. I have a helmet cowfish. A great deal smaller and thrives in a 55 and do not get near as large as the long horn.

aquasafe

With the Cow Fish I've read that when they get stressed they release A toxin is that true?O and thanks for the info. :)

meisacao

It is true that they will release a toxin if stressed. It's much more common with the long horn than the helmet. The helmet seems to be very peaceful. They usually are fine as long as you put them in with the right tank mates. You don't want to have them with any fish that will compete with them for food or pick on them. IMO you are asking for trouble with a long horn. I've personally seen one reach 2 feet, they are just too large for a 50 gallon and the smaller the tank the more chance for stress leading to poisons.

aquasafe

Originally Posted by meisacao
It is true that they will release a toxin if stressed. It's much more common with the long horn than the helmet. The helmet seems to be very peaceful. They usually are fine as long as you put them in with the right tank mates. You don't want to have them with any fish that will compete with them for food or pick on them. IMO you are asking for trouble with a long horn. I've personally seen one reach 2 feet, they are just too large for a 50 gallon and the smaller the tank the more chance for stress leading to poisons.
2 FEET WOW THATS BIG!I saw one at pet stop and it was like 3 inches.But I totally beleive you!