cleaning

mrharley66

I'm trying to help my parents get there 90 gallon tank going. The brown growing on the rocks is driving my mom nuts. She likes to see the rocks white. All my tanks I let do there own thing and they look great. My question is what can I do to get her rocks clean? I'd rather her not do anything but she wants to clean them. We've tried boiling them and the local fish shop suggested bleaching them. My dad tried that and apparently didnt rinse the rocks afterwards, so you can guess the result......dead fish. Any info would be appreciated.

tangs123

Originally Posted by mrharley66
I'm trying to help my parents get there 90 gallon tank going. The brown growing on the rocks is driving my mom nuts. She likes to see the rocks white. All my tanks I let do there own thing and they look great. My question is what can I do to get her rocks clean? I'd rather her not do anything but she wants to clean them. We've tried boiling them and the local fish shop suggested bleaching them. My dad tried that and apparently didnt rinse the rocks afterwards, so you can guess the result......dead fish. Any info would be appreciated.
well it is going to be tough to have anything now because the bleach is going to be in there for a while

and what type of rock is it; live rock or just a plastic decor?

mrharley66

Well I trashed the rock that he bleached, so it is no longer around. I think they call it lace rock. I've noticed people call it different things. It was a bone white color originally and thats what she wants again. I use to bleach my rocks in my freshwater tanks but I havent in the saltwater tanks. The rock seems a lot more pourous.

merredeth

Tell her to go for a nice purple color and she won't kill the fish.
The purple color is correline algae and it is good for the tank.
Colored rock of reds, purples and even a neon green means you have healthy rock. White rock means you need to stick to freshwater.
Denise M.