Cleanup crew with a seahorse OK???

My seahorse is regularly eating frozen food (YEAH!!!). I soak vitamin fortified mysis shrimp in garlic exreme and the horse loves it. However, most of the food ends up on the crushed coral substrate. Can I get some hermits to clean it up? I have live ghost shrimp in there already. They seem to eat some of it, but I thought some hermits might help. Any problems?

dr. jay

Hi..... Sorry, I am not responding to answer your question although I am sure someone is. In addition to my main tank (260 gallon) I have a 54 gallon corner tank that I am going to put seahorses in (only). I noticed you live in Westchester, and I live in Rockland. Where did you get the seahorses? Were they tank bred only?
PS. A very good friend of mine growing up was named Michael Stern (which I am assuming was is your name). You didnt grow up in Queens, did you?
DrJ

No, not me.
Anyway, I got my seahorse at SWF.COM. It was part of a fish order. My kids were dying for one. Anyway, I assume it was wild caught. For the first month all it took was very expensive live ghost shrimp. But now, all of a sudden, it is eating frozen. Go figure. Anyhow, way cool fish.

killafins

You have to be careful with hermits... they tend to grab at seahorses tails but tha thappens on small occasions. And they usually are the smaller ones. I would recommend some scarlet hermits, a cleaner shrimp, snails... keep them as docile as possible.

killafins

The only thing u will need to worry about is the hermits... i doubt they will attack ur ghost shrimp... theya re so much quicker than thim. But there is always the chance for the hermit to sneak up on the shrimp at night. But, i highly doubt this will happen.
Became attached to the shrimp have ya?

Not so much attachment but it is an awefully expensive meal for a hermit. Also, a few of the larger ghost shrimp do seem to have become permanent members of the tank. I think they are too big for the seahorse.

dreeves

You could try an emerald crab as well...the two I have pay no mind to the fish...and when they do..it is strictly defensive.
Dwarf blue hermits would be fine with your seahorse...I never saw mine mess with the seahorses...in fact, they have never messed with anything else besides each other and the once in awhile toppled snail...

lemonshark

Careful with seastars, they will run over the horse and kill it. Just like a friend of mine that has a PS. He had five seahorses and one medium red serpent star. The serpent star was moving around and got on top of the seahorse killing it.

killafins

yes, the only thing u should keep with seahorses, imo... should be snails or cleaner shrimp... but scarlets will help but keep closely monitored.