Clicking Clowns??

fishface

I have 3 clowns in a 54 gal corner tanks with a cpl hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp.(1)fuzzy crab (came w/LR)
After I turn out the lights I hear a distinct clicking noise--almost sure it's not a pistol shrimp or a Mantis shrimp.(no dead things in tank yet) :)
Could this be that the clowns are doing some sort of mating ritual?
ghumbee@aol.com

fishface

Clicks start right after I shut off the lights,then will be one click or 3 clicks in a fast repitition then after about an hour they stop.I figured there wasn't a mantis because nothing in the tank has been showing signs of being picked at.Like I said before there are 3 clowns,2 hermits,1 pepermint shrimp,4 snails and an anenome.If it keeps up maybe I'll try to trap whatever it is? Are there any suggestions on how to trap>?
Thx
[ April 22, 2001: Message edited by: FishFace ]

fishface

Oops forgot,The crab looks like a fuzzy ,well like a crab, can be seen if not to much motion around the tank.

angelfish

Most likely it's a pistol shrimp. Usually, and I say that carefully, the pistol shrimp will only cause the irritating sound of clicks, however, if it is a mantis then eventually the shrimp will kill your livestock when it becomes hungry enough. Mantis are very powerful and can break glass. These shrimp are very intelligent. Most likely you introduced the shrimp whether pistol or mantis in w/lr. If it is a mantis, it is possible that it is too small to really do much damage, but when it gets to a large enough size it will wreak havoc in your tank. I know since a mantis did in mine. The pain in the but is catching it and killing it. Good luck and hope it's not a mantis.

b_ball12_99

If the crab was green I would suggest it was an emerald. Better hope you have a pistol shrimp. It will still cause problems but its not as bad as a mantis.