cloudiness???

melissa1

our tank is a little cloudy, why? how do we rid of it?
Could it be caused by our scallop &/or mandarin dragonet??
HELP PLEASE!!

nm reef

Is it possible something is disturbing the sand bed and causing a storm effect? Without a bit more info on your problem it may be difficult to offer much in the way of help. Is the water milky and/or greenish? There could be many reasons for your problem depending on its nature.:thinking:

melissa1

no green color just cloudy. it started after we put the flame scallop on the sand, we moved him back to a rock last night and we are just waiting to see if it clears up.
you know when you clean the substrate and you disrupt the sand it looks like a sand storm well that is what is happening
we are hoping that it wa just the scallop and if he is not on the sand he cannot create the sand storm any more but i just cant imagine our fishes being happy in a tnak that is cloudy!!
The other thing we were thinking might be causy the cloudiness is the dragonete when he eats he filters the sand and "rock" through his gills and it stays in the water

viper_930

May also be caused by a dead/almost dead anemone.
Do a water change and add some activated carbon to clear it up. Figuring out if the anemone is already dead would be good too to stop the problem at the source.

melissa1

how do i know for sure if my anemone is dead? i figured (bad judgement on my part probably) that if her was dead he would not still be attached?

viper_930

If the anemone looks like it is melting away, it is dead. Or you can pull it out of the water for a sec and smell it, and if it smells worse than anything you've smelled before then it is dead.
The carbon can go anywhere. Sump, fuge, skimmer/filter, display tank, anywhere.