cloudy eye

blennyluv

Posted: Today at 22:53 Post subject: uhg!

[hr]
ok now, i noticed my yellow tang is still itching, they are allstill in a qt tank. and now i see one of his eyes is just a bit cloudy (he keeps hitting himself in the eye with his fin and rubbing that side on the rocks) this is what happened to my angel. then the eye peels and they die. what the heck is this? what should i treat for?????

scsinet

I don't know the rest of your story... can you fill us in?
Cloudy eye can be caused by a number of things, but if the tang is flashing, it sounds like a parasite, more than likely ich. Sometimes you can't see it.
If they are in a QT you have multiple options, but we need to know the whole story...

werejo

Hi, I´m From Mexico, I Hope You Understand Because My English Its Not That Good

I Saw At The Store The Same Case, They Take Him Out Of The Tank And Put It In To Fresh Water Tank With The Same Temperature, For About 15 Minutes, Then Take Him Back To The Tank Of Saltwater, They Did That For Couple Days Until Dissapear, When I Get The Same Problem With Two Blue Tang And One Yellow Tang, I Did The Same Thing, Take Them Out To A Freswater Tank For 15 Minutes Then Put It Back On The Saltwater Tank, Two Day Take Me To Dissapear The Problem, Maybe A Little Bit Agressive To Do That, But It Works For Me, After That I Bought The Ozonizer To Kill Those Kind Of Parasite And Works Fine, I Only Use Once A Month And They Looks Really Healty
If You Do The Fresh Water Treatment It´s Your Responsability
I Do It To Mine, Tinking They Maybe Die, So I Do It And I Found That Works Great, But I´m Stil Tinking It Is Agresive To That.
I Hope It Get Well Your Fish

sepulatian

Originally Posted by werejo
Hi, I´m From Mexico, I Hope You Understand Because My English Its Not That Good

I Saw At The Store The Same Case, They Take Him Out Of The Tank And Put It In To Fresh Water Tank With The Same Temperature, For About 15 Minutes, Then Take Him Back To The Tank Of Saltwater, They Did That For Couple Days Until Dissapear, When I Get The Same Problem With Two Blue Tang And One Yellow Tang, I Did The Same Thing, Take Them Out To A Freswater Tank For 15 Minutes Then Put It Back On The Saltwater Tank, Two Day Take Me To Dissapear The Problem, Maybe A Little Bit Agressive To Do That, But It Works For Me, After That I Bought The Ozonizer To Kill Those Kind Of Parasite And Works Fine, I Only Use Once A Month And They Looks Really Healty
If You Do The Fresh Water Treatment It´s Your Responsability
I Do It To Mine, Tinking They Maybe Die, So I Do It And I Found That Works Great, But I´m Stil Tinking It Is Agresive To That.
I Hope It Get Well Your Fish
Freshwater dips often times just stress the fish out and are not usually effective. I'm sure they can be sometimes, but there are much more natural and stress free ways of controling ich problems such as hyposalinity.

werejo

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Freshwater dips often times just stress the fish out and are not usually effective. I'm sure they can be sometimes, but there are much more natural and stress free ways of controling ich problems such as hyposalinity.
YES, I KNOW, BUT, ON A EMERGENCY WORKS FOR ME, THAT´S WHY I BOUGHT THE OZONIZER, MABE IT WORK FOR HIM AS EMERGENCY, DOWN THERE IN THE US, YOU HAVE TO MUCH PETSTORES, I GOT TO ORDER THE MEDICINE AND I GET IT ONE MONTH LATER, WE GOT PETSMART BUT THEY DON´T USE TO HAVE SALWATER STUFF
EVERYTIME I VISIT YOUR COUNTRY I BOUGHT A LOT, TO HAVE IN STOCK, AND EVERYBODY THINK I GO ON A RESELL
ANYWAY I HOPE IT GETS WELL HIS FISH

sepulatian

YES, I KNOW, BUT, ON A EMERGENCY WORKS FOR ME, THAT´S WHY I BOUGHT THE OZONIZER, MABE IT WORK FOR HIM AS EMERGENCY, DOWN THERE IN THE US, YOU HAVE TO MUCH PETSTORES, I GOT TO ORDER THE MEDICINE AND I GET IT ONE MONTH LATER, WE GOT PETSMART BUT THEY DON´T USE TO HAVE SALWATER STUFF
EVERYTIME I VISIT YOUR COUNTRY I BOUGHT A LOT, TO HAVE IN STOCK, AND EVERYBODY THINK I GO ON A RESELL
ANYWAY I HOPE IT GETS WELL HIS FISH
Have you heard of hyposalinity werejo? It is very effective. You can also avoid all of this by quarentening your fish before putting them into your display tank. I understand what you are saying about needing to do it in an emergency. Prevention is a wonderfull thing though and causes no stress whatsoever.

werejo

Have you heard of hyposalinity werejo? It is very effective. You can also avoid all of this by quarentening your fish before putting them into your display tank. I understand what you are saying about needing to do it in an emergency. Prevention is a wonderfull thing though and causes no stress whatsoever.

IT´S THE FIRS TIME I HEARD FROM HYPOSALINITY
I APPRECIATE YOU EXPLAIN ME THAT TO LEARN ABOUT IT
THANKS

sepulatian

IT´S THE FIRS TIME I HEARD FROM HYPOSALINITY
I APPRECIATE YOU EXPLAIN ME THAT TO LEARN ABOUT IT
THANKS
Hyposalinity is when you bring the salt level in your tank down to 1.009 over the course of 48 hours. Ich can not breed in low salt content, but your fish will be fine. You must remove all live rock and invertebrates from your tank before lowering the salinity. Ich is an invert. Any method you use to kill ich in a tank will also kill the inverts you want to keep. Once all signs of ich are gone from the fish you count three weeks. In this time the ich will not be able to breed. Ich's life cycle is very short. By waiting untill the ich is off of your fish and then waiting three weeks you will be sure that they have not been able to reproduce and they will have died by then. After the three weeks are over you slowly take a week to bring your salinity back up. Your fish hardly notice the difference. It is completely natural to them and causes no stress if it is done right. If you do fresh water dips, the ich is still in your tank and will continue to attack your fish. If you use hyposalinity it will rid your tank of ich. You then will want to use a quarentine tank for all future fish. Keep the new fish in the QT for 3-4 weeks. If it has a disease or parasite you can deal with it without it infecting your entire display tank. It is much easier and less expensive to just QT your fish before adding them to your display.

werejo

Hyposalinity is when you bring the salt level in your tank down to 1.009 over the course of 48 hours. Ich can not breed in low salt content, but your fish will be fine. You must remove all live rock and invertebrates from your tank before lowering the salinity. Ich is an invert. Any method you use to kill ich in a tank will also kill the inverts you want to keep. Once all signs of ich are gone from the fish you count three weeks. In this time the ich will not be able to breed. Ich's life cycle is very short. By waiting untill the ich is off of your fish and then waiting three weeks you will be sure that they have not been able to reproduce and they will have died by then. After the three weeks are over you slowly take a week to bring your salinity back up. Your fish hardly notice the difference. It is completely natural to them and causes no stress if it is done right. If you do fresh water dips, the ich is still in your tank and will continue to attack your fish. If you use hyposalinity it will rid your tank of ich. You then will want to use a quarentine tank for all future fish. Keep the new fish in the QT for 3-4 weeks. If it has a disease or parasite you can deal with it without it infecting your entire display tank. It is much easier and less expensive to just QT your fish before adding them to your display.
THANKS, I APPRECIATE THAT

blennyluv

ok, myfish were all doing great. got a hawk, qt'd him and my flameback for 10 days or so. put them in main tank, hawk looked bad. took him out like 4 days later. he died. angel got a cloudy eye, then it went away, then it started to peel. thougth maybe ammonia burns from qt tank. always fighting ammonia in there. took her out. she died. so took all my fish out. saw tang and wrasse itch. nothing from clown or goby. but took them out anyway. all are in the qt tank. all were looking fine, but today noticed the behavior on tang. do have copper running in qt tank. should i lower salinity? i really do not want to loose tang as "Sid" has been with us awhile. i have vowed nver to buy a fish from our lfs again. ugh
thanks again. oh. all other parameters in qt tank are good, just fighting ammonia. with ammonia clear and water changes
any other tricks?

bill109

ok im new but i used a med that worked for cloud eye and its gone
MELAFIX!!!
then do the 7 day treatment then do a 25 percent water change and then i cant help you with the ich my fish have been good so far (knock on wood)

sepulatian

Originally Posted by blennyluv
ok, myfish were all doing great. got a hawk, qt'd him and my flameback for 10 days or so. put them in main tank, hawk looked bad. took him out like 4 days later. he died. angel got a cloudy eye, then it went away, then it started to peel. thougth maybe ammonia burns from qt tank. always fighting ammonia in there. took her out. she died. so took all my fish out. saw tang and wrasse itch. nothing from clown or goby. but took them out anyway. all are in the qt tank. all were looking fine, but today noticed the behavior on tang. do have copper running in qt tank. should i lower salinity? i really do not want to loose tang as "Sid" has been with us awhile. i have vowed nver to buy a fish from our lfs again. ugh
thanks again. oh. all other parameters in qt tank are good, just fighting ammonia. with ammonia clear and water changes
any other tricks?
Ok, it sounds like you have some major water quality issues here. I appologize for the crash on the thread before. Please post all of your parameters in whatever tank you have your fish in. What size is the tank? What's Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, Salinity readings?

blennyluv

trates 0 trites 0 ph8.0 ammonia. depends. i know the ammonia is a problem. the tank is a 15 gallon qt tank. my main tank is fine. ph a little lower but all has been stable for about 1.5 years in that one. i test the water 3 times a day. do a 3-5 gallon water change every day. and if i have to add ammonia clean by tank buddies. i have decided to get a fish for my qt tank after this is over and keep it running all the time. does copper kill your bio bed? so i will test water here in a few minutes (mixing water now)
the ammonia yesterday morn was.6 so i used ammonia clear and a water change. that brought it to 0. we will see this am. but the prob in the fish started before the qt tank. the itching.
(30 min later)i just did a 3 gallon water change and checked ammonia. .1 today so i just added half a tab of ammonia clear which is 1/3 of the dose. lights are not on yet so i cant see my tangs eye. i have copper and marycin in the tank
now, a few hours later i was tryin to take pics and i noticed black spots around his eyes

blennyluv

hi again
ok, now i did the hyposalinity thing in my qt tank. it appears that the eye on my tang MAY be a bit better. he is still flashing and itching. the clown is not itching, the goby darts once in a while and the wrasse is laying around alot. i am a little worried about him. he did eat today but he isnt very active. do you think it could be from the stress of the qt tank?? i added another filter to my qt tank, sick of this ammonia thing. hate useing chemicals to control stuff. so how long do you leave them in the 16ppt salinity?

blennyluv

just so you all know.............I WON I WON I WON!!!!!! the cloudy eye on my tang is completely gone, he is no longer scratching on rocks, or hiding, the wrasse is swimming as usuual and not laying on the bottom or scratching. the clown is not scratching and the goby not darting!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 cheers for hyposalinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheer:
:hilarious
oh. anyway. so if anybody has fish that are having problems, to heck with chemicals. do not wait, get them out immediatly and fix them!! thanks for all the help!!!