Cloudy Water Nightmare!

little fish

HELP!!!!! I have went gone through all of the past posts regarding cloudy water and have tried all of the suggestions. However, nothing helps. For about the last 2 months I have had cloudy water. I have been doing weekly water changes, gravel vacuuming, clarifier, everything and nothing seems to work. I can still see particles floating in the water. I even bought a new filter ( I have the bio-wheel 280?) and it didn't help. The water tests are fine and the fish appear to be very healthy. What could be causing this? I have had this tank for a year now and the water has always been crystal clear up until now. I am so frustrated, any ideas?
29 gallon tank
Penguin Bio-Wheel 280
1 eel, 1 Porcupine Puffer, 1 blue damsel
Fish only tank.

angelfish

I had the same problem with my water getting cloudy but it only occured if I removed coral or added something to the tank. I went to the lfs and bought a water clarifier and it cleared my water up just fine. Are you removing/adding anything to the tank to disturb the habit? I know you said that you used a clarifier but what kind? I use on by Kent. I hope this helps
Angel

tjswanson

I would buy some black diamond carbon and buy a nylon bag and fill the bag full of the black diamond carbon. TJ

M

mitch24

I went throught the same thing for about a week when I had an algae die off...
The algae would die and a LOT of it would just sit in the corals and ground.
If a fish even moved his tail around, it would all come up and the water would get ridiculously cloudy.
This went away in about 5 days, when all the dead algae was swept up and taken into the filters.
I don't know how long this has been going on for you, but it's just a thought :)
Good luck!!!

little fish

I used a clarifier made by Kent. I will try the carbon in a bag method and see if it helps! Thanks for the ideas!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Please give more details. Is all the water milkly, or do you actually see tiny particles floating within the water, surface of water, what??
Also, what decorations do you have in your water, and have you added any gravel, substrate or LS since this occurred?