cloudy water

enjoi503

I just added water to my tank with live sand in it. Should it have gotten cloudy? if so, when should it start becoming clear?

wildjosh

you should have added your salt. First you should fill tank to check for leaks. Leave it for a few days if no leaks spring up then add salt to the water. Then add your sand. It can take up to a week for your water to become clear after adding sand. Its a little depressing but patience, it will become clear eventually.

enjoi503

Its only been up for a 1 day, but when i add a powerhead will that clear it faster? and i was thinking of buying 5 lbs of live rock to add during the cycling process.

wildjosh

you can add live rock while cycling, it will most likely have a lot of die off but it can help with the cycling. I wouldn't add any expensive LR when cycling though. I would keep my power heads off until the sand settles. If you put them on it could only stir things up more.

cj_build

I know there alot of different ways to cycle a new tank. But I use fresh water mollies. It takes 30 minutes to an hour to acclamate the mollies but they do better in SW then FW then. Do it before you add very much aquascape (making it easier to remove the mollies later). Also don't add much of anything till the water clears up maybe a little LR.
Do you have any filtertion on right now? If you use a power head use a foam piece to help block the dust from entering it. Then when all is clear clean the PH and foam.
Alyways add salt to the water before you add to the tank as salt is caustic and will cause havok to your aqua life.
This is all my opinoin and experience as there are alot of different ways to do things as long as you get the end result correct.