cloudy water??

juddster

anyone have a problem with their water getting cloudy? my cycle is done all levels are fine. I havent touched my sand base in a month? i did a partial water change about a week ago and everything looked fine till yesterday now my water is getting pretty cloudy. any suggestions????

A

alti

do you have any sand sifting fish in there that could be disturbing the sandbed? check and make sure you powerheads or filter outputs are not blowing on the sand. as the tank matures it will get less cloudy as the bacteria colonizes the sand bed.

juddster

THANKS ALTI .....I dont have any sand sifters it doesnt seem to be cloudy from the sand...im not sure what the problem is? i have good water movement with no direct blowing on the sand.

jumpfrog

Could just be a bacterial bloom. Not unusual and will clear itself in a few days. Now that initial cycle is over you'll be seeing algea blooms and other things until the tank uses up excess nutrients and settles. No worries, mate!

A

alti

make sure your mechanicasl filtration is not full of sand. my 12 gal exile tank gets cloudy when the filter sponge gets full of sand. i just rinse it out in old tank water and it clears up. if its southdown sand it may be cloudy on and off for another month or 2.