Clown brushing up sand....

fishytim

I have a pretty good sized clown (about 2 1/2 inches) and he is constantly using his tail to fan the sand. It is making my tank cloudy all the time and it never seems to get clear. My water is in great shape and has been for two months (i got the tank from someone else who had it setup for over two years, I used the same water and everything) Anyone have any idea why this clown is doing this? I am getting fed up and about to go sell him to the store to get some credit. Anyone have any ideas?
Tim:mad:

thedraven

What else do you have the tank FishyTim? My clowns tend to fan sand at other fish because of territorial aggression. Wondering if other fish arent prompting your clown to do the same?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Typical clownfish behavior. Try putting a rock on the area where the clown is stirring up the sand. Does the clown have a fav place to kinda "call home"?

fishytim

It does seem to be the same spot...
Before I added my newly cured LR he had one part in the back of the tank all the way to the glass...
It is so frustrating because I can never get the water to be crystal clear like it is in my 10 gallon...
I hate to turn him in for store credit, but I think I might have to. I think if I do I will move my two paired clowns in the 10 gallon take into my 46 and buy something else for my 10 gal..

A

autopilot

I just noticed my clown backing up to the sand then stiring up the sand with its back fin.