Clown community ???

cacr2011

It has been a while since I have been on here. I have not had a SW tank for awhile. I am looking at getting back into it and have a stocking question. I had a pair of clowns and they were by far my favorite fish. I know that I want more, but there are so many variations it is hard foe me to decide. I know that multiple pairs is not suggested but I am unclear about a group. Is housing a group of 8 or 10 ok? Can you mix breeds? I was wanting to get a group of clowns. If I say ordered from this site n got all ORA aquacultered Perculas at the same time but a variation between false, true, misbar, naked, b&w, picasso, would that work? I have read that you will get one female, one male, and the rest genderless out of a group? Would adding 8 or 10 clowns at once to a 55g tank be ok? It would be a newly cycled tank with nothing else in it. I would probably only add a sand sifting goby and inverts.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacr2011 http:///t/390555/clown-community#post_3459580
It has been a while since I have been on here. I have not had a SW tank for awhile. I am looking at getting back into it and have a stocking question. I had a pair of clowns and they were by far my favorite fish. I know that I want more, but there are so many variations it is hard foe me to decide. I know that multiple pairs is not suggested but I am unclear about a group. Is housing a group of 8 or 10 ok? Can you mix breeds? I was wanting to get a group of clowns. If I say ordered from this site n got all ORA aquacultered Perculas at the same time but a variation between false, true, misbar, naked, b&w, picasso, would that work? I have read that you will get one female, one male, and the rest genderless out of a group? Would adding 8 or 10 clowns at once to a 55g tank be ok? It would be a newly cycled tank with nothing else in it. I would probably only add a sand sifting goby and inverts.
Only one pair of clowns can go in a 55g....You will have to decide on which two.
I love the dwarf angaelfish...only one per tank. Don't you just hate that?

cacr2011

Thanks. I went to lfs this weekend and they had several tanks with 3 or more percs, will one eventually die if left together? Does this mean its not a reputable lfs? Its not a chain store, been around a lot of years...

gemmy

The best way to look at the tanks at any LFS is that they are holding tanks. The inhabitants typically do not represent what would work in the home environment. They are just temporary housing. At home, juvies may get along for a bit. Then as they mature, they get aggressive toward each other and the smallest/weakest is pecked off.