clown fight?

ben5bauer

i have 2 clarkii clowns in my main 30 gal but a friend has pawned a cinnamon(jumbo) off on me it is currently in another tank in my home is it possible for me to put him in the 30?

lesleybird

Why did you let a friend give you a fish you did not want? I would have told them to give it to the LFS...you could do that, but do not put them together with the other clowns!

trigger11

From everything I have read the general consencus is that you would only want to have 2 Clownfish in the tank. However, as with everything that doesnt mean it is an absolute rule.
When I first started my tank I rescued 3 Clownfish from a person that was getting ready to send them to porcelin heavan. They all get along just fine. So I think it can all depend on the situation.
For example,
If your clownfish are hosting in anything, or if the other clownfish would host then I would definitely say do not put them together. They can get downright mean if they are hosting.
If none of the clowns are hosting anything then they may not get tooo territorial and would be ok. Even so, the big question is if you put that third clown in there and he isnt going to work out how easy would it be to take him out and put him back in the other tank? If you have a lot of rockwork then it wont be easy at all in which case I myself wouldnt try it.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by dmjordan
in my opinion you would be looking for trouble if you had a 3 in the same tank
I have to agree. I wouldn't take the chance. I was always told not to mix Clowns anyway.

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
I have to agree. I wouldn't take the chance. I was always told not to mix Clowns anyway.
I had two clarkii and two jumbo cinnamon clowns in my 125. Both pairs had hosting anemones. Of course the female cinnamon was the dominant one, but she only chased the little ones away if they got too close. That's in a 125 gallon tank though

sepulatian

Three will be fine as juveniles, they will kill off the third as they identify their sexuality. Adding a third to an already established pair is a very poor idea. One will be harassed. Are you aware of how clowns pair up?

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Three will be fine as juveniles, they will kill off the third as they identify their sexuality. Adding a third to an already established pair is a very poor idea. One will be harassed. Are you aware of how clowns pair up?
I agree, but I seriously doubt a clarkii is going to kill off a jumbo cinnamon clown. In fact, what will probably happen is the jumbo cinnamon will take over the anemone and the two little ones will be homeless.
I am just guessing here though. But either way, a 30 gallon seems really small anyway.

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Also, will different kinds of clowns pair up? Like will a jumbo cinnamon pair up with a clarkii? Just curious...

sepulatian

Originally Posted by porthosandjazz
Also, will different kinds of clowns pair up? Like will a jumbo cinnamon pair up with a clarkii? Just curious...
No, they will not.

spanko

Please read here:
Cinnamon Clownfish are a very hardy species that do very well in fish-only aquariums and reef environments. They are very territorial and will vigorously defend their territory from other clownfish and similarly sized fish species. They become more aggressive with size and age, but should be considered more territorial than overly aggressive. When kept in smaller aquariums, this species should be the only clownfish species kept and should be kept with other semi-aggressive fish species. In larger aquariums, this species can be kept with a vast range of other marine fish species. Cinnamon Clownfish will prefer a host anemone, but this is not an absolute requirement. This species is usually seen with bulb tipped anemones (ex. Entacmaea quadricolor) or leathery sea anemones (ex. Heteractus crispa), but may also accept other similar type anemone species. This species will not harm corals or invertebrates, thus is suitable for reef and FOWLR aquariums.