Clown fish are breeding

javatech

i found that my clowns have layed eggs you can just make out the eyes on the fry right above the clown on the rock.
has anyone had some make it or do you just lose them :(

blueberryboomer

I've been doing some reading on this subject, we are planning on setting up a tank for a pair of clowns. I do know if you want to try to save them you should take the rock out of your main tank, put it into a smaller tank with airstones for circulation and a heater. Leave the bottom bare, makes it easier to clean. There is a special food that you need to feed the fry for 3 days to 3 weeks. I can't remember the name, but I can get it for you. Any that live 10 days begin to morph, get thier stripes. If you are interested in trying to save them, let me know I will get the other info for you. Good Luck! Lisa

javatech

They are clown babies you can see there eyes and the dad is taking care of them by cleaning them and faning them i can't move the rock the Anemone is on it

overanalyzer

Hey Javatech - there is a book called CLOWNFISHES by Joyce Wilkerson who goes through and explains how to do this. I am getting ready to set up a breeder tank now - what kind of clowns are they???
I'd start getting green water ready and a small seperate tankw ith air stones and a heater - check the book out!! If you get any out of hte juvenile stage let me know I'd love to get some and put them in my nano to see if they decimate the pod poulation or if they just foul the water .....
More later - wife yelling

rook

Well the bad news is that you will not have time to grow the live food (phytoplankton, rotifers, baby brine) that the fry need, in time for them to survive.
The good news is, generally when clowns start to mate, they mate often. So you will likely have many other opportunities to raise the fry.
I would get the book mentioned above and start preparing for a future batch of fry. I would also just leave the current batch to hatch in the main tank and become food for the tank.
Very cool and good job.

sunken ship

Try doing a search in this forum along with search engines on line, you will find a lot of useful information. Clowns prefer to lay their eggs on smooth objects, i've heard of people putting in small plastic dishes, possibly even tupperware. Worth checking out.
Congrats, I want to try to breed clowns once i get my tank cleared of ich...only a couple more weeks to go!!!

overanalyzer

Javatech - the backside of a piece of cermaic tile works well - smooth enough for the female and yet rough enough for the eggs to attach to .... also the rough side of pieces of shale have been used - the key is being able to slide something in there that fits into the spotthey choose to breed in!

javatech

Yea i'll have to try that but as you can see from the photo it's in a bad spot and the Anemone has been moving a lot

javatech

My clowns have layed more eggs i guess they will do it every week or two ??
i hope i can keep some going this time

ozadars

Good Luck w/ them, i wish u can make teenagers, these fries. I will buy 2 skunks if i can find, i wish they ll ve eggs too
Take Care

broncofish

They actually breed about every 8 days, if they are anything like my percs, I'm guessing my scooter blenny ends up eating all the fry:( I'm going to make a legitimate attempt soon at moving them to a rubbermaid 10g

javatech

I guess this means my water is at the right levels i don't think they would breed if the water was bad. i took the skimmer off at the first of the year when the ref took off