Clown Fish for the start?

theonlykc

I was wondering if anyone thinks that Clown Fish are a good starter fish? and if not what kind of fish is?
After how long would you buy a Clown Fish?

bronco300

i'm sure a clownfish could work just fine....i would start with a damselfish to start off with, its chepaer than a clown in case something isnt quite right yet.
Luke

watertight

That's an interesting question. In my very limited experience clowns seem to be fairly hardy in a relatively new tank. Damsels are a great tank starter, but they get very territorial and aggressive to new-comers. Plus they are hard to catch if you decide to take them out! I used 2 blue/green reef Chromis in my last tank, they are a great fish, cheap, hardy, peaceful, and look good as well. I introduced 2 Occelaris clowns a couple of weeks later, no probs at all. Touch wood...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by theonlyKC
I was wondering if anyone thinks that Clown Fish are a good starter fish? and if not what kind of fish is?
After how long would you buy a Clown Fish?
Hopefully you mean after your tank has cycled.
Clowns need to be QT'd as they are very succeptable to "Clownfish" disease.
Damsels, imho, should not ever be purchased. Pet stores treat damsels as "fodder". If hobbiests will quit purchasing them pet stores will have to step into the 21st century.

watertight

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Hopefully you mean after your tank has cycled.
Clowns need to be QT'd as they are very succeptable to "Clownfish" disease.
Damsels, imho, should not ever be purchased. Pet stores treat damsels as "fodder". If hobbiests will quit purchasing them pet stores will have to step into the 21st century.
Yes, just to clarify, I was meaning "After the tank was cycled", too, when I was talking about starter fish. I only put a fish into an uncycled tank once - years ago, when I didn't know any better.
I agree about damsels, but the problem is, they look great. Bright blue, with the yellow tail, a lot of people look at them as a perfect starter fish because they are cheap and also look spectacular, especially if you're new to s/w fish. The problems only appear later, when other fish are introduced, then people realise just how aggressive these little things are.

dogstar

There are many peacefull damsel species. Also many that are not that give them the bad wrap.
Clowns are damsels also and are very hardy like most damsels but are very aggressive when established. In a small tank their fine but can/do limit you to what else you can put in with them. In larger tanks its not so much a problem because they will limit their territory to around their host but many damsels will try to control the whole tank.

zsalinas

A good starter fish could just be a couple of green chromis. They seem to do pretty well and aren't aggressive. I got clowns in my tank after it had cycled and everything and they seem to be doing great. Either way as long as your tank is cycled I'd say you're good.