Clown Goby Citron, SPS safe or not?

mike22cha

I just bought a citron clown goby, very nice sized, 3/4-1", anyways I don't have any SPS frags in there but I told my buddy Paintballer76800 about it and he's saying they're not SPS or reef safe?!

jpa0741

They are reef safe as in not eating or picking at the coral, but many times they do live in SPS colonies and can bug them to the point of killing it.

mike22cha

Ok Paintballer said there was a guy on -- that had a citron goby eat the polyps of his SPS colony causing it to die, I'll make sure I watch the goby if I add anything.

reefmate75

clown gobys DO rip off a area on a SPS to lay EGGS only, and the coral shouldnt die if its healthy but they do not eat the coral, they spit it out when they bite it off hahaha but as long as there is only 1 in your tank it shouldnt want to lay eggs

tobbyjackson

I had a pair of these in my 125. They are really neat to wacht jump aroundfrom one place to another, but they were always perched on my acros. This caused them to stay closed most of the time. So I had to take them out, & my acros are back to opening up like normal now.

jman72

Clowns love to perch on branching sps and pretty much any other coral. They may occasionally nip, but nothing harmful IMO.

mike22cha

Ok I'm going to monitor it and if it shows any signs of stressing the corals too much then I'll remove it. But it's really a neat fish, nice coolers, and a cool lazy attitude that I love.