clown grouper

ribboneelman

I was just at my lfs today and i found the fish i have allways been looking for a clown grouper it is very small 2" or so most of the ones i see are like 7 8" so i put this guy on hold and i will be picking him up this saturday what do i feed hime and can i feed hime crab leggs like the ones a tops and can i put hime in with a panther grouper my lfs will it be ok. :D :rolleyes: :)

grouperhead

Ahh, groupers are my favorite. The clown is an awesome fish. Very pretty. but there are many different groupers referred to as clown groupers. Could you describe the color pattern to us. I have seen saddle backed groupers called clowns and Pogonoperca Punctata (a very pretty soapfish). If it is white with black saddles and yellow it is the saddle backed. If it is grey with white/silver speckles and black vertical bars it is the P.Punctata. I have seen another grouper also called the clown grouper. It is Epinephelus Lanceolatus. It is a kinda abstact patterned fish with different shapes of yellows and blacks on it. I would bet yours in one of the first two species though. Both like all groupers are easy to keep and hardy. Feed silversides, squid, clams, krill, etc. A large tank is needed about 125 I think for the saddleback and a 75 for the P.Punctata. If it is the P.Punctata watch out for agressive tank mates, if they pick on him he could emit hes slime coat and everything in your tank would be dead in minutes. Hope this helps, Bo

grouperhead

dont put him in with a panther, two groupers together dont mix very well. they will have territorial disputes and fights, and could kill or seriously injure each other. Later, bo