clown hosting powerhead

autofreak44

i was wondering why my clown kept staying up by my powerhead when it occoured to me that he was hosting it. this morning i found him nestled in between the PH and the side of the tank just resting there, i think its prety cool. heres a few pics. ill try to get some pics of him resting inbetween the ph and the glass early tomorrow

sepulatian

That is very cute! What kind of system do you have? If you don't have a reef, can you get him something fake to host? He would sure appreciate it.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rbrockm1
man mine host the stupid back corner of my tank. i hate it
Add something for him to host if you don't have a reef. Pick up a fake plastic decoration that is leafy. He just wants something to hide in/host.

autofreak44

yeah i will probably do that. thanks for the idea. i hope to get my reef set up soon, but that all depends on the budget. we will see i guess, right now its just fowler/invert tank, kinda booring but soon i want to get a few corals to hold me over until i get my 20 reef set up

autofreak44

i love this guy, hes only like 3/4 of an inch, and hes constantly swiming around although all his effort doesnt get him very far becasue of his bad swimming capability. gotta love clownfish. we figured since e was so small that junior would be a fitting name. he was expensive tho ($18) considering my last one was like 10 but it was a small shop with lots of healthy fish, and i figured i would rather have a healthy fish than a cheap fish

sepulatian

Originally Posted by autofreak44
i love this guy, hes only like 3/4 of an inch, and hes constantly swiming around although all his effort doesnt get him very far becasue of his bad swimming capability. gotta love clownfish. we figured since e was so small that junior would be a fitting name. he was expensive tho ($18) considering my last one was like 10 but it was a small shop with lots of healthy fish, and i figured i would rather have a healthy fish than a cheap fish

I 100% agree with that logic!

nick76

Heh mine decided to host the return tube from my HOB refugium. Its like a PVC pipe end that sticks 2 inches into the water and he swims up into thew pipe its pretty funny to watch.
But now if I add a soft coral for him to go in will he leave the pipe for the coral?

autofreak44

Originally Posted by DragonZim
Wow, that's either a REALLY tiny clown or a MASSIVE powerhead!!! :joy: :joy:
yeah its tiny. all their other clowns were like twice the size so we had to have him. it was funny he was swimming realy hard and not going anywhere fast and the other two were spinning laps around the tank. it was love at first sight :joy:

topfins-mj

I think this is normal, they look for comfort and security. My two mated clowns host my Maxi Jet too. I only see them go there once the lights go off.
I thought of getting an anemone but I heard they are dangerous to other corals.

gmax111

WHOA!!!!!! so weird both of mine do that as well.. They stay in the back right corner of the tank right behind the powerhead. I even got a new tank (upgraded from 55 to 135) and i changed th powerhead to a bigger one and with-in an hour of being in the new tank there they were just hang out behind the powerhead...
During the day they roam the tank but if they are startled they dart back to there home... It annoys me but if they feel safe there then so be it... At night the female pokes in and out from behind the PH and the male floats on his side at the top behind the PH :happyfish

sexyfishers

ya mine both hang out at the powerheads. I have two on each side of the tank. Theyhost each side... AND I have a bubbletip anenome that I have to feed. funny.

monalisa

My false percs also hosted with one of my powerheads until I started adding corals. Their first coral host was a devils hand leather...they loved it and defended it, but alas the dh died (old age, I think), and they went back to the power heads. Since adding my green fuzzy mushrooms...that's been home. When I upgraded from my 37 to 46 in February they even stuck with their shrooms in the bin while the upgrade was going on. It took them a few days, but they eventually found them again the new tank. They're great little fish with cute personalities...gotta love that.
Lisa :happyfish

T

tizzo

Alright nobody else will say it, so I will...
Your clowns are not hosting anything, the PH's and corners and anemones host THEM!!!
K, now that that's outa the way... That's a really cute little clown, that your powerhead is hosting.