Clown Pair Question?

<3scopas55

Im sorry for this being so long but I wanted to make sure i covered every detail....
I lost an old clown about 3 days ago
and about a day later I went out and got a new pair of percula clowns. They were both about 1" long but when I got home I noticed that the slightly smaller and less dominate of the two was swimming kind of oddly but thought it might just be stressed from the move. The next morning the clown still wasnt better and eventually died later that afternoon. I called the lfs and they said that since I was within the 24 hour garuntee I could replace it for a new one. This morning I went and picked up the healthiest little clown in the tank (fat and stunning neon in color) and placed him in my tank with the other clown. They are both about the same size but the new one may be a tad bigger (1-2 mm). They seem to get along fine from the beggining but I just wanted to check on one thing...
They do seem to fight a little (nothing terrible like frantic chasing or fin ripping). They will swim together and every so often nip at eachother or sorta headbut or dart at eachothers sides for a few seconds, but then will go on following eachother for a while. I thought this might just be them figuring out whos going to be the dominate one of the pair and that they will eventually stop. Neither of them seems stressed they both eat well and swim the whole tank happily but I just wanted to make sure I didnt make a bad choice by replacing the first clown because I dont want to loose another one

Thanks for your help

jonthefishguy

Clownfish like many fish in the ocean such as anthias, have the ability to change ---, where the most dominant male will become a female, and can successfully produce offspring. The female is much larger than the male of the same species, but no color differences differentiate the sexes. What we do to make a mated pair is to add a clown to another clown, if they fight, we removed it out, then try another till they are pees and carrots. Then if after a few days they are doing great and living together, we sale it as a pair. Right now it seems they are finding out their pecking order and who is going to be the dominate one.. unless they are killing each other and showing signs of distress, let it be....

scotts

My clowns even went so far as to have a trial separation. One swam at one side of the tank for a month and the other swam at the other side. Eventually they met with the wise old hermit crab who helped them work out their differences and they are now a happy always together couple.

russianspy

Originally Posted by Scotts
My clowns even went so far as to have a trial separation. One swam at one side of the tank for a month and the other swam at the other side. Eventually they met with the wise old hermit crab who helped them work out their differences and they are now a happy always together couple.
Rofl

<3scopas55

thanks a lot for your replies
They seem to be doing better now, I think the newer one is going to be the female.
I feel much better now