Clown Tang and Puffer

dougedoug

Just got a clown tang which is a large size. Noticed this morning that a small piece of his tail was missing. The piece is laying on the bottom so I am guessing it did not taste good. It was definitely my puffer, when that clown came into the tank puffer was giving him the "can I eat this dude" stare. Clown tang does not look stressed even though the small piece is missing. Wanted to know if I should get him out now. It is possible the puffer tested him out and said, I cant eat him and should leave him alone. Here is a pic of him before he got bit, that top fin I circled got removed. They are about the same size.

mr. limpid

The puffer never bothered any of your other tangs? By the way I like the selection of tangs you have, if I had a 200gal. tank those are the tangs I would have, plus a Naso. Sounds like he is hungry just keep the puffer well fed while the new tang get use to his new home. How are the other tangs taking have another tangs among them?

dougedoug

He never bothered the blue hippo tang, I honestly think he saw that long tail and said that looks like something I would eat. He eats pretty good and this has happened before at night with a previous tang I had. I am gonna feed that puffer a little more and see what how it goes. If I see that clown start to get stressed, he is out of hte tank. He is a very beautiful fish and I would rather just give him back.

mr. limpid

What I know about clown tangs are that they are big swimmers, (you have plenty of room) and likes a lot of current. What I don't understand around here they are priced cheep and I cringe when I see people buy them, knowing they don't have the right set up to keep them alive. On a good note I was in my favorite LFS and a guy wanted to buy a tang and the sales person asked him what size tank he had. I smiled at the clerk and let him do his job.