Clown Tang

jtoz116

hi,
i recently added a clown tang to my 120 gallon tank. (about 3 days ago)
i've been trying to feed him dried seaweed, flakes, cyclo-peeze, etc. hes not eating anything.
im a little worried about this. can someone please help me out.
oh i have a yellow tang in their too but they dont fight at all.....

sonofkrono

yes they probably wouldn't fight. with any fish i buy the only thing i feed them is frozen brine shrimp, and from what i've noticed everything loves frozen brine shrimp, by that i mean everything i've had eats it. you couldn't also buy algae strips for the tang or just weight down a long piece of lettuce and let the tang pick at it

nicetry

It's not uncommon for a new fish to resist foods for a few days. Keep at it. Try mysis shrimp instead of brine (more nutritious). This is going to be a big and aggressive fish if it survives. You'll need a tank upgrade in the next couple years, depending on how large it is now.

nicetry

It may be being bullied by the yellow, which could account for the retiring behavior. Watch for aggression. An established yellow can go after just about any other fish.

jtoz116

since the addition, i've been looking for aggresive contact and so far nothing, my tang is just ignoring the clown tang, but i will continue to watch out.
thanks

offshore80

I've tried 2 clown tangs and could never get them to eat. Good luck with it. Some people are lucky and have no problems. I would love to have one.. but just can't take another chance. I take it personal when a fish dies on my watch.

A

andretti

Another thing to try is adding garlic. Not just plain garlic, but this liquid stuff that's made by Kent. Basically, it is an appetite stimulator...it gives the fish the munchies! It also works as a good (natural) way of elimating parasites. You add it to your tank every time you feed (a few drops) and then every other day as a good all-around preventive maintenace system. I've used it for months. It even got rid of the ick off my yellow tang; it took about 6 days. It does not affect PH, alkalinity, etc; it's completely natural. The only thing it does is make you protein skimmer waste smell 100X as bad as it normally does; but it's well worth it.

scubadoo

Originally posted by SonOfKrono
yes they probably wouldn't fight. with any fish i buy the only thing i feed them is frozen brine shrimp, and from what i've noticed everything loves frozen brine shrimp, by that i mean everything i've had eats it. you couldn't also buy algae strips for the tang or just weight down a long piece of lettuce and let the tang pick at it

Brine shrimp have very little nutritional value. Try feeding the tang mysis shrimp and adding/soaking food in Kent Marine Garlic Xtrreme. Soak your seaweed sheets in this.. You can also add it directly in the water per instructions on the bottle. If you buy the Ketnt Marine Garlic Xtreme you can soak the food as well as adding it to the water per instructions on the bottle.
Frozen brine is okay for a treat but not good as a stable/regular diet.

bill f

Soak the food with the garlic, don't pour it directly into the tank.
I've got a clown tang that fone from 3 to 5+ inches in like 6 months. Eats everything from day 1. Brine, algae sheets, pellets, flakes.
He the aggressor in the tank, chases my convict tang all over the place. He leaves everything else alone. They've had cuts, scrapes, gashes and they heal right up. I use the garlic 2x to 3x a week.
I've got a 180 in the garage ready for set up, he's getting big.

O

osufarker

I must be fortunate. I purchase a small clown tang about a month ago and it is doing very well. This fish must eat his own weight in seaweed selects everyday. Biggest pig I have ever seen.
I second the soaking in garlic. I do that with each feeding and the fish seems to like it.