Clown tang!

newsalt16

I dont want to raise tang controvercy i just have a question about them. I don't think i have ever read a thread on here about them and my lfs has a small one. Will these tangs will not work in a 75g (the only other thing i have is a dwarf lion)or are they like all others and need a bigger tank? I was just wondering, if u guys say no then i wont get him. Are these fish hard to keep, or just hard to find is that why i dont seem to hear much about them? Thanks all!!!

dskrezyna

Sorry but your revelations were correct. No, he should not be placed in your tank. The Clown Tang, like all other Tangs, would be best suited in a much larger tank, 125g +.

lion_crazz

Furthermore, clown tangs are one of the most difficult to keep tangs, and rank right up there with achilles in difficulty. Most are very finicky eaters, and it is very difficult to sustain them longer than a few months.

seattle

Every person I know that isn't new to these message boards have 1+Tangs in there tanks between 70-90.No one flames them but people flame new people on here with tangs in 75's,I think that is sorta unfair for some people,but yeah Clown Tangs are VERY tricky fish.

dskrezyna

Originally Posted by Seattle
Every person I know that isn't new to these message boards have 1+Tangs in there tanks between 70-90.No one flames them but people flame new people on here with tangs in 75's,I think that is sorta unfair for some people,but yeah Clown Tangs are VERY tricky fish.

If those 'experienced' people want to put tangs in their 75g-90g then saying something to them won't matter, their minds are set. You gotta get them when they're young!

stanlalee

clown tangs need the same amount of room as a sohal would which means not even a 125 will be large enough for an adult (they grow well over a foot). they require the same turbulant well oxygenated conditions one would apply when trying to keep an achilles. Also aggressive like a sohal. pretty simular to sohals in shape, size and aggressiveness except better coloring, less hardiness and one comes from fiji the other the red sea.

newsalt16

thanks for all the replies. I guess since they are hard to keep is probably why i hadn't heard much about them. Im glad i know a little more about them and maybe some day when/if i get a huge tank i could try to keep one. Again thanks for the help!!!