clown trigger tank size

anadliv

Right now I currently have two reef tanks, 29 and 20 gallon. I want to do a fish only tank with a clown trigger. What would the minimum tank size to keep this fish only. Also what would be a tank size to keep maybe two other compatible fish.

kjr_trig

Afraid I would agree with Bruner, as a single specimen you may be able to get away with a 125, but a 6 foot tank is a must IMO. As far as 2 other compatible fish I would go to 180

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2653324
Afraid I would agree with Bruner, as a single specimen you may be able to get away with a 125, but a 6 foot tank is a must IMO. As far as 2 other compatible fish I would go to 180
Me too. I'm convinced that CT (and many other fish) aggression levels are in direct proportion to the space they have; but CTs get nasty, regardless.

rldavisou

I would say that a 120 would be ok, if the fish is not fully mature, but it WILL, undoubtedly, require a 180 within about 18 months or so.
Also, keep in mind that a healty clown trigger can live for 20 years or more. The bigger the tank, the healthier it will be.

anadliv

Thanks to all for the information. I was thinking of doing around 200 gallon. I have done research on these and understand they are aggressive and can be kept with other aggressive fish. What would be a couple other fish that could go with a clown trigger? Maybe a stupid question but would a large puffer work?

rldavisou

From what I've read, large puffers will be ok...most of the time. CT's are the most aggressive fish we commonly keep in aquariums. A lot of it depends on your specific fish.
They have been known to kill lionfish, and they've got a pretty good defense if you ask me.
The best idea is to give your CT space. With 200 gallons, you should be ok to add a few large fish.

kjr_trig

Large puffers would probably be ok, big wrasses, big angels, big tangs, can all potentially hang with a CT IMO, the bigger the tank the fewer issues of territory will occur....Believe it or not, there are several Triggers considered more aggressive than the CT...The Queen, Undulate, Titan, Blueline, and Yellowmargin are considered the meanest of the mean, these are the guys that typically need to be housed by themselves as they hit adulthood. I was at the Seattle Aquarium recently where they have a 15,000 gallon tank with over 100 fish, one being a 9 inch (which is not even half grown) Titan chasing everything it had a chance to, this included a slightly larger CT.