Clownfish and cardinals together okay?

amanda e

I have an empty 55 gallon tank that I'd like to eventually turn into a reef tank.
My thoughts for the fish are a family of 5 Ocellaris clownfish (buy them as juveniles from the local store) and 3 Banggai cardinalfish.
Does this sound okay?
My thoughts are that maybe these two types of fish wont get along or that maybe this would be too many fish for this size tank.
If this set up is okay, I should add the cardinalfish first since they are peaceful fish compared to the clowns, correct?
TIA.

fedukeford

The cardinals are fine, but when more than 2 clowns are added to a tank more times that not all of them except 1 or 2 end up dead, so IMO just get a pair of clowns and a couple other fish.
Feduke

amanda e

Originally Posted by fedukeford
...when more than 2 clowns are added to a tank more times that not all of them except 1 or 2 end up dead...
Even if they are bought together and are all juveniles?

ice4ice

Yes. A mated pair will be dominant and will kill the other clowns. Stick with a pair, not a school of 5 clowns.
Cardinalfish you can have a school of 3-5 in a tank.

dskrezyna

Originally Posted by Amanda E
Even if they are bought together and are all juveniles?
Please heed their advice.

amanda e

Originally Posted by dskrezyna
Please heed their advice.
Okay... no problem. That's why I was asking.
Now I just need to figure out if I just want more Banggai fish or if I want a third kind of fish.
Any suggestions for a third type of fish that might look good with these clowns and cardinals? I'm thinking maybe a Six Line Wrasse?

bang guy

If the Cardinal of your choice is a Banggai then only get two and make sure they are male & female.
Don't mix Cardinalfish species either.
Most other Cardinalfish can be kept in groups but Banggai are territorial, especially the males.

amanda e

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
If the Cardinal of your choice is a Banggai then only get two and make sure they are male & female.
Yes, I really only like the Banggai. Is there any way of telling their --- visually? Basically I'm wondering how I can be sure of getting a male and a female.
I know with Clowns that if you get 2 juveniles that you can be sure of getting a pair since they all start as males (or is it that they all start as asexual... anyway...), but how can you tell with Cardinals?

bang guy

Originally Posted by Amanda E
but how can you tell with Cardinals?
Yeah, that's a problem. I've seen thousands of Banggai but I can't tell.
If you see a group in a tank and two of them stay together then it's a good bet that they are male & female.

teresaq

you can add a couple of firefish and some sort of sand sifting gobie. In my 55 gal i had
2 clowns, firefish, bi-color blenny, clown gobie, and eng gobie