Clownfish and killer anemone????

disaster

A few days ago we purchased 2 false percula Clownfish, a pink tip Hatian anemone, several snails, along with several blue leg hermit crabs. We also have a Yellow Tang a Lawnmower Blemmy and 2 purple urchins. This morning we woke to find 1 clown dead and the other missing. We have searched our tank thoroughly. Could the anemone have eaten the remaining clown? Can someone help us? We have been through 5 in 6 weeks. Also, we have checked our water levels and everything seems to be fine!! please help us!!
thank you for your time.

disaster

I am not an expert BUT... IF the two clowns were tank raised together and one semed to die, then maybe the other one died form seperation anciety. and many things you have listed above could have eaten it. next time you purchase some, make shure that they do not stick together that much, but make shure that they are still firends. :)

disaster

No, I haven't heard that. I have not witnessed our tang bothering the clowns. Unless the tang only strikes at night when we are not there to view it. During the day they seem to get along very well. But, our fish do seem to die during the night. Only one has died during the day. It was swimming around perfectly fine one minute and the next he was on the bottom of the tank nearly dead. Seemed like a fish heart attack. Two actually lived for two weeks before they died. What do you think?

a&a2

I'd wait for an anenome expert to see this post. Don't know much about hatian anenomes??? My guess would be the aggressiveness of the yellow tang. But not so sure?

stephycpd

Well, I'm no expert, but I can give you my 2 cents on my experience. I purchased a pink tip haitan anemone awhile ago and my maroon clown took to it like glue (notice my avatar). First thing is my clown hosting that type of anemone is an exception, not the norm. Clownfish and pink tips are found in two totally different parts of the world. As far as the anemone is concerned, they have no idea they are supposed to host anything, thus they will eat fish, even clowns. Clowns find it natural to host an anemone, but the pink tips have a more potent sting, and some clowns may not be able to tolerate it, and could get stung, paralyzed and eaten. My pink tip got a hold of my yellow boxfish, killed it and tried to eat it, even though it was way to big to eat in one bite. So, no more pink tips for me. I've since gotten a bubble tip anemone for my clown, I just feel safer with my clown in that since it's a natural host for them.
I hope this helps a little.