ClownFish-Anemone

wildmouse

I have just finishd cycleing my first salt watter tank with two damsels. I would like to buy a Clownfish and a Anemone. I was wondering if this would be ok considering I have 2 damsels, and only a 20 gl. tank? If so I was wondering what type of Anemone would be good for my tank? Any help would be very helpful.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean you just finished cycling? Does that mean you've set up a tank and its only been up and running for a month?? Cycling takes more than a month. Keep your damsels by themselves for at least 2 months in an ammonia / nitrite free environment, then introduce the clown. You can get an anemone, but if all you have is a regular biological filtration setup with standard florescent lighting, it won't live long [probably 3 mos at most]. Anemones require "reef" type environment to survive, which, in the aquarium hobbie, can only be attained in the reef system. Oh, and by the way, if you want to get clowns, only get 2 per tank. Anymore than that, and you will have war in your tank. 2 clowns will pair, three's a crowd.

wildmouse

Thanx for your help. I have had the 2 damsels in my tank for about 3 1/2 weeks. I probly won't introduce the clown for another week. I dont think I will put a anemonie in my tank. I would most likely kill it. Do u have any suggestions on what type of fish I should put in my tank? I have had a 20 gl. fresh watter tank for 7 years and I dont know much about saltwatter fish. Thanx again for your help.

the rock

the rock says...
add to RR list a six-line wrasse, and yes keep to the small stuff, a dwarf angel might do okay too if its on the smaller side and your water condtiions are perfect

the rock

the rock says...
if your water conditions are good they are a must have to keep the detritus build up down in such a small tank

krazzydart

Well first off I would get a bigger tank and next you should visit your Library and do some reserch on salt water....I have a 20 gallon reef set up with just live rock, a few aneomies(sorry for the spelling) feather dusters,small clam, snails,hermits, and sea horses in it.It has been up and running for over 3 yrs. now...I also have 2-125 set ups.

wildmouse

Thanx every one for your help. I would get a bigger tank but I cant afford it. My dad has a 55 gal. fresh watter tank, but he wont get rid of his fish and give it to me.One last question. I'm probly being annoying now. Would I need to put the live rock in befor I get any Invertebrates? And, If so how long?

the rock

the rock says...
the inverts will be much more comfortable in surrounding where they can have a meal, ie live rock, but it isn't necessary, you do need to have some sort of rockwork in there for them to climb on and pick from