Clownfish eggs

misty7850

Here are my clowfish eggs, six days old, and then one of my fish caring for the eggs.
Just thought I would share. I set up a smaller tank, and have rotifers, etc.. but don't know what luck I will have.. This is the first time they have mated. I bought them about a year ago when they were quite small themselves.

spectre879

Had you planed on mating them. I wanted to try but some locals convinced me not to do so. It was said that it was to intensive.

reefiness

Originally Posted by snowboard
looks good I hope my clowns will mate but if it took yours 1 year I got alot of time
not exactly... each pair will take a different time and i know of some people who have just gotten 2 random clowns and had them matting in a few months(LUCK) then like my clowns which i have had for almost 2 years and still have not had any eggs
o well

snowboard

i have herd its pretty simple as long as you get all the clown fry food (rotifiers?) and feed phyto to the rotifiers, then once they get a little bigger you feed them baby brine then 1 day old brine then after a couple of days they eat flakes. :notsure:

spectre879

Its not simple at all. Chances are the larva may not survive with out the right plankton food. The food does not naturaly live in the tank and must be prepared with green water out side in a seperate container. You must be monitering them every step of the way. Lighting must be right, for the most part off, all pumps must shut down, aggressive preditors must be removed, and airation must be provided by very course bubbles. I dont mean to offend any one, it is just what I have researched. I wanted to try this for real but it didnt seem fisable.

misty7850

yah, I've researched and researched too. I've got the rotifers and the plankton.. Even though they probably won't survive. I am going to give it a shot. I kinda thought they would be born last night, it was day six and the eyes were nice and silvery.. I shut everything down.... had it nice and dark. Did my 15 minute checks with my flashlight covered with red lens. Well one little duffer was born, but thats all I saw. So I hi-jacked him outa the main tank and put him in the one I have prepared. He is still alive so far. feeding him rotifers. Hopefully the rest will hatch tonight. Will play the same waiting game.
In researching, I've read more than once, that if they don't hatch in that 2-hour window after dark, then they are not going to hatch that night. So after that 2-hours. I started up the pumps again. Well the eggs are still there, and the eyes are even brighter silvery color.. :jumping:

stephanied

Wow, that is so neat. How big was the little guy? Can you take a photo of him? I have never seen a newly hatched clown.
I can't wait to hear more. I hope it works out.

misty7850

Well the rest of them hatched tonight. Took us over two hours to collect them all, about 150 of them.
Picture of eggs this evening just before lights out
picture of about 20 fry
the runt of the fry
Jealous one and Jealous two, the cleaner shrimps had to have attention too... while we were collecting the fry.

firedog

Joyce Wilkerson's book is a good reference for this subject. It seems a little difficult to breed clownfish but not impossible. From reading about it, it seems that raising food for them can be more of a chore that actually raising the fry.

rach4194

I had my clowns for almost four year before they laid eggs. I couldn't figure out why they had not yet laid eggs. I did had a very large hermit crab. I decided to trade him in when he started trying to eat everything in my tank. So I traded him in and about 2 weeks later I had eggs. I think she wouldn't lay eggs because she new the crab would and could get them. I don't know if I'm right but it's just odd that I had a mated pair so long and after the crab was gone it happened in such a short time.

misty7850

Firedog: Yah, Joyce's Book is a very good one. Thanks for the suggestion though... :jumping:
Will Be sure to Keep everyone updated. So far this morning, they are all active.. I know there will quite a few die, if not all of them.. but like I said, I'm gonna give it a try.....
Rach: Now you know why your clownfish never laid eggs.. That crab is cool looking, The clownfish may have been laying eggs all along, but probably got munched down on the by the crab ????
Thanks everyone for the comments and idea's

sleasia

that is so cooool...thanks for posting the pics... I looked at mine again...they can't be clown eggs because the clowns stay no where near them.

fishieness

why wont my clowns lay eggs?!!!

maybe ill try removing my CBS. ive actualy been thinking it is holding them back. ive seen my male skittering against their flowerpot...but no eggs yet....