clownfish pair, what are they doing?

chasar

I have two False perc clowns, been together for four years. I do not have an anemone, and they do not host anything. I have noticed that the female is getting bigger in the belly. Both fish have been hanging out around a rock except when they are eating. at the base of the rock they have pushed the sand back in a circle almost down to the glass but not quite. the rock has a cave and they hang out in it often. What are they doing? Are they getting ready to lay eggs?

keebler

If you see them clearing a spot and hanging around it a lot, then it is probably a good sign. Keep us updated. If you wanna breed them, you probably aren't going to get this batch to successfully reach adulthood, because you didn't know. That's okay, if you want to breed them start researching now and see if you can't get the next batch to thrive.

chasar

I was approached at the LFS by someone who is starting a Saltwater club in the area. I have not joined but will be and I know that they are there for help. Clown breeding was mentioned. It may be worth contacting them and trying to save what I can. Is the first step for now placing a small flower pot or tile in the tank near the area they cleared sand?

nuzz

I've read and heard that breeding clowns in captivity is very difficult and you need a special facility specifically for doing so. I'm not sure if it's the same for false percs as it is for true percs. But I have a friend that has been keeping saltwater aquariums for a VERY long time and has plenty of experience, and keeps his tank in prestine condition - his pair of true percs spawn just about monthly in his carpet anemone, but the young never hatch.
Kara

A

alexmir

i would recommend putting something flat for them to lay the eggson.Raising the young is moderately difficult from everything i have read. In order to raise the babies, you will need to have live rotifiers to feed them. And raising them in a large tank with other fish and inverts is going to be impossible, you will most likely HAVE to have a seperate small tank (5 gallon or so) to raise/feed them in.

nuzz

Yes, the fry would definitely be eaten by anything and everything else in the tank, pretty much I would think!
Kara

chasar

Thanks for the replies, I have never noticed that these clowns have mated before, as stated they are four years old and always been together. I am watching for eggs around the rock on the sand bed. I know that I am not properly set up for raisong them, but I do have an empty 10 gallon and can use that to try and keep the fry if I can catch them before eaten. That is if they do lay eggs. I figure I should at least try.
How do I go about getting rotifers? What are they? thanks

chasar

update. I put a small glass tealight candle holder in the tank where they had cleared the sand. No action yet, but I really do think that the female is getting bigger in the belly.

chasar

Ok female has a very big belly. She looks very wide and fat from the tip of her white stripe to the back of her head. I wish I could post a pic. I have a ten gallon tank that I just threw a penguin 350 filter on and started cycling. I will leave empty in case I can save any eggs. The piece of glass I put in the DT is almost like a small bowl. The butterfly fish have been venturing over to the side of the tank where the clowns are and the clowns try and work as a team to keep the BF's away from "their" rock. It is rather cool to watch, one faces one way and the other faces the other on the opposite side of the rock trying to keep the BF's from swimming throught the cave. I hope that I will get to the eggs before the BF's. Do I have to worry about the clowns eationg the eggs?

chasar

No news really. I added a power head to my DT, so I had to alter the aquascape a little. the clowns were very unhappy, but I did my best not to move "thier" rock. I have not noticed anything yet.
Will the eggs be noticeable? I check the tank every morning and throughout the day. I look all over the corner that the clowns are in. How long will I have to get the eggs out of the tank before they are eaten?

chasar

I think that they are mating. I see that she looks very nig everytwo to three weeks, then she looks normal sized for a week or two. I am wondering if she is laying the eggs and they are getting eaten right away? I have not seen any eggs as of yet, and I do look all the time. I am not sure what is going on.

chasar

I have been watching all day and they have been clearing off their rock none stop. The female has her white whatever coming out from under her belly. The male's is out as well, his is black. I see them clearing the rock witht there mouths then swimming over it in a seizure like manner. Then they clear the rock more witht there mouth. I hope I see something soon. Anyone have any thoughts?

chasar

I had to look before I went to bed. Lights are off, covered a flashlight with my hand and shined on their rock, and there they are, Orange Eggs. I tuned the light on quickly for verification and then turned it off. The weird thing is that the clowns are in their cave and the eggs are located just outside the cave. Will the eggs be OK? I have 6-7 days before I need to take them out and put in my ten gallon, right? I know that this will more than likely not be a successful batch, but at least I know that I have a breeding pair. Extremely Excited.

scubaman101

ok ok
you have me in banging my head in a wall lol did they make it or were they just giblets for the other ? I hope they made it i think it would be cool to a breading pair of clowns

chasar

I have transfered the eggs in to a rearing tank and am waiting for them to hatch. There are only 10 or less eggs out of 30 or so laid. Small batch, but there first time. Not a lot of people seem to visit the breeding section so I have another post in the Clownfish section that I have been updateing.