Clownfish with ick?

bettym

I woke up this morn to see a few spot's on my perc clownfish.I have a 75gl and it has a starfish,snail's,crab's.I was woundering do I need to take im out to qt him?All I have is a 10gl.Would this be fine for him?How long do I treat him?How do I set up the tank for qt?I am sorry for so many question's but I am very new to this.I am ready just to sell the tank and be through with it.
:help:

bettym

I guess I will go ahead and set up a hospital tank.Can someone at least please tell me if PimaFix antifungal med will work?If not what do I need?I live 40 mile's from a pet store.I realy want to save this lil guy.Do I need to put my starfish in there also?

F

fishwilly1

Betty, If This Is Ick You Should Let Your Fish Try To Fight It Off. The Starfish Is Not A Fish That Normally Will Get The Ick And Clowns Have A Real Good Defense System From This Disease. If I Was In Your Shoes I Would Have A Qt Tank Ready, And See How Your Clown Looks Later. It Is Real Important When You Set Up A Qt To Have Everything As Identical As You Can To The Main Tank, Ex. Temp, Ph, Alk, Etc. Just Use 10 Gallons Of Your Tank Water And Use It As A Quick Water Change. An Aerator Is Also Helpul In A Qt Tank, Any Extra Oxygen Intake Is Helpul. There Are Many Great Treatments For The Ick, Such As Tablets, Or Drops. One That I've Heard Works Good Is Noxich. I Have Had A Small Tang Ich Out In My Daughters 20 Gall. Tank And Her Two Clowns Gathered A Few Spots From It But After The Tang Was Out And In Qt, The Clowns Were Able To Fight It Off On Their Own. If You Do Set Up A Qt Tank Use Something From Your Main Tank To Keep The Same Bacteria And Environment, You Can Use Filter Media, Or If You Have To Even Some Of The Live Rock. If You Have To Use A Copperbased Treatment However Do Not Use Any Of The Stuff From Your Qt Tank Again In Your Main Tank, Or The Copper Can Run Right Through All Your Coral Or Coralline In Your Reef. Hope This Helps Some.
Good Luck

sebae09

clownfish are not easly bothered by ich they can fight it off but do not under any cercumstances mess around in the tank or try to catch them this will cause stress and the ich will get to them. leave them alone and they should handle it themselves only treat them if they start showing signs of dying "swimming sideways staying at the top" good luck

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by sebae09
clownfish are not easly bothered by ich they can fight it off but do not under any cercumstances mess around in the tank or try to catch them this will cause stress and the ich will get to them. leave them alone and they should handle it themselves only treat them if they start showing signs of dying "swimming sideways staying at the top" good luck

I don't agree that clownfish are not "bothered" by ich. And, yes, chasing fish around the tank trying to catch them does cause stress, which is why it is so important to avoid a "crisis" altogether by QTing fish rather than placing them directly into the display.
Please take a look at the posts on ich and hyposalinity in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum. Appropriate treatment info is there. Post back, if you have additional questions.