Clowns

sunken ship

I just picked up a new BTA, and the next addition to my tank is going to be a pair of clowns. I am not sure what kind of clowns i am looking for, so I would love to hear what kind of clowns you guys think are the best. Please post all the pictures and info that you possible can. Thanks!

I

ivanfj

If you are looking for a pair, I personally would go for the false perculas. They are very hardy and peaceful, very nice to watch, almost accept any kind of food you provide.
I have a tomato clown in my 20 gal and he just dominates the tank. I don't have an anemone for him so he digged himself a hole as his home. He doesn't allow any other fish to get close to his house. He likes to move around the bigger pieces of the sand too for some strange reasons. I don't know what the heck he is doing but he is just picking up one piece at a time and move the sand around.

When I was looking to get a Clown I wanted one that was non aggresive, my friend's Maroon Clown bites the heck out of his hand every time he puts it in the tank. And he says it really hurts!!!! After asking around and looking up info I went with the Ocellaris Clown and I love him. He does not bite me and I think they are the pretties clown, very bright. Also mine has never messed with the sand bed.
My .02
:) NewBe

marco333

I would get a maroon. My maroon clown Loves his bta, and if my tank was bigger, i would deffiently get him a mate. Mine dosnt seem agressive at all.

scarybo

I love maroons..I have a pair. They are mean %@#'s Cleaning my tank is a test of wills. They are fast and the bite hurts, but they have great personality. Mine recognize the baster as feeding time.

overanalyzer

Personally I like False Percs, True Percs and the Skunks - but regardless of type try to find ones that are tank bred. They tend to do much better in tanks plus you are not subjecting a wild caught critter to thousands of miles of air travel!! Saltwaterfish.com often times has the best price hands down on tank raised clowns

dfishh

id recomend false percs/ocellaris, unless u r lookin for a clown to go in ur bta, dont think ocellaris will, a lot of others will tho
DAVE

the maroon is mean but very pretty and it does go with the bubble tip. but 2 in an 18 gallon? i dont think that would work. how long was your tank set up before you added the bubble tip?

volitan

I would go with a couple of false percs. I had 2 tomatos, but the female completely dominated the tank. She wouldn't let anyone close to 'her' bta. She was a big, mean, mother #$@$@!!! I've since traded them for a couple of small false percs, and love the new fish. They are very peaceful and are fun to watch. HTH

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Sunken Ship
is it possible to get a pair of clowns on SWF.com?

If you get two small tank bred fish tehy will grow into a pair eventualy. They will posture and fight and figure out who is the dominate one (female) and who will be the submissive one (male) and then grow accordingly.

tiffster

I would also go with a pair of false perculas. I have one right now and he is great, but he does bite!! He didn't bite until I got him a BTA. Scrubbing algae was very painful, but I got smart and got a magnetic algae scrubber!!:D

sunken ship

I'm thinking of getting a pair of percs or tomatoes...not sure whether or not to go for true of false percs. Tiffster, did you do anything special to get your percs to go into your BTA?

tiffster

Not really, it took him a few days and I started to get p'oed that I spent 50 bucks on the BTA and he wasn't going to use it. I saw him swiping it after abot two days or so , then I came home and found him all snuggled in it! Unfortunately my husband turned the A/C off for three days in the middle of August while we were on vacation and I came home to a dead BTA (along with a few other losses). But, the clown fish has taken to a mushroom that came in with some live rock. He seems to be happy! Oh, he is a false perc. don't remember if I mentioned that or not.
Tiff