Coexist?

dragonzim

I think the bumper stickers are a crock as well considering the Muslim desire to eradicate othe religions, but seriously, can't we just mind our own damn business already? This is not our fight and will end up being just another reason why the middle east hates America.

oscardeuce

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."
-- by Martin Niemöller
Sound familiar? No our fight?
Yes, this is everyones' fight. Sheeple drive around with their bumpersticker thinking they are doing good when all they are really doing is puttting their heads in the sand.

dragonzim

Damn right its not our fight. Half the world hates the USA for no other reason that we go sticking our noses in where it doesnt belong with our "we know what's right and be damned what you think" attitude.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim http:///t/390670/coexist#post_3461168
Damn right its not our fight. Half the world hates the USA for no other reason that we go sticking our noses in where it doesnt belong with our "we know what's right and be damned what you think" attitude.
Yeah but when we quit doing it they will hate us for ignoring suffering around the world

darthtang aw

Damn right its not our fight.  Half the world hates the USA for no other reason that we go sticking our noses in where it doesnt belong with our "we know what's right and be damned what you think" attitude.
If you saw your neighbor screaming and yelling at his wife, and threatening to beat her, would you ignore it?

darthtang aw

Not even close to a fair comparison
Why not? I am sure you support the fair treatment of women.
Shouldn't our nation reflect the values and compassion of its people. Iran is putting to death a man that committed no crime, just changed his religion. As a country we champion and promote the freedom of religious practice and choice. To follow a faith or not to. We applaude and laud this freedom. So should we not speak up when we see a neighbor hindering such a freedom that is imbibe by the creator?
The minute we start condoning evil acts because "it is not our business", we in fact support such actions because of our inaction. Do you place a portion of blame for the child rapes and molestations that went on at Penn state on the coach?

mantisman51

I don't care what "the world thinks" about us. We are the U.S. of F'in A. But I do think we should get out of the world police business. And I am one of the few Americans who believes Vietnam was a good war fought the wrong way by unscrupulous politicians.

dragonzim

Again, the only thing we are going to accomplish here us pissing off a large portion of the world who are just itching for another reason to hate this county. Are you willing to send more of our kids to war over 1 person, who isn't a US citizen, because that could happen if we step into this.

darthtang aw

Again, the only thing we are going to accomplish here us pissing off a large portion of the world who are just itching for another reason to hate this county. Are you willing to send more of our kids to war over 1 person, who isn't a US citizen, because that could happen if we step into this.
Who said going to war over this? I am talking about a nation voicing their feelings on the subject and lobbying for the individual. When did I say war?

oscardeuce

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/390670/coexist#post_3461188
Why not? I am sure you support the fair treatment of women.
Shouldn't our nation reflect the values and compassion of its people. Iran is putting to death a man that committed no crime, just changed his religion. As a country we champion and promote the freedom of religious practice and choice. To follow a faith or not to. We
applaude and laud this freedom. So should we not speak up when we see a neighbor hindering such a freedom that is imbibe by the creator?
The minute we start condoning evil acts because "it is not our business", we in fact support such actions because of our inaction. Do you place a portion of blame for the child rapes and molestations that went on at Penn state on the coach?
The key word in all you have to say is just that...As a country, and WE. We can't contol the whole world, nor push our personal way of life on others. The majority rules in this country, and in Iran..the majority rules there. It is after all, THEIR country, not ours. They can run it any way they want. There was a time America enslaved the black people,and treated their women like property. We had our growing pains, but we did not have other countries sticking their noses up our butts to force us into anything. We do not have the right to dictate how others run their countries. Only Americans think they have it perfect...others see us as loaded with debotchery and open sin. When you look at our half naked young women on billboards and see the amount of money the abortion clinics make...I can't disagree with them, we look pretty bad.
The majority of the people over there follow Islam, it is a sin punishable by death to follow another religion. I don't like how THEY run their own country, but I am an American, and my only say and freedom is in THIS country. We have done no disservice to allow other countries to persue life as they see fit. They don't want our values, they don't want our idea of the perfect life. When the majority of the people over there get good and tired, they will rebel and restructure their government. That may never happen, it is up to them. They will have those who are persecuted for their religion, and women who will stand up to the men, and people who want a fair vote. They will then fight for what they believe in...but it is none of our business.
Now if one country tries to overtake another country, and force their way of life on the people...we should get involved and help our neighbors, since no country has the right to mow over another...oh..that just discribed what you want us to do over there.