Colorful fish?

thumpco

Blue Flasher Wrasse. Has anyone ever had one of these? Are they nice quiet fish? Cause a fight with a firefish goby, 2 shrimps, snails, tailspot blenny and 3 clowns- I think he does but any input on this fish would be good

S

smallreef

okay.. so you question is does anyone have one and would they be okay with the list of fish you provided? like most wrasses it likes to hide in rockwork.. other than that I dont know much about them...Most reef safe wrasses are fairly docile when they have enough space.. so im assuming you have a 30+ gallon tank? They do like to swim alot..

flower

I have only one beef with wrasses...they jump. I don't mean once in a while. I had a nice fairy wrasse, I covered the entire tank with mesh and made a trap door to feed the fish...While I was feeding the fish it jump out and landed behind my 90g tank where I can't reach it without a pinching reacher....yep that was a very dead fish by the time I got to it. I swore off ever getting another one.
If you have a 30g tank, a dwarf angelfish has awesome color, and it will get along with the fish you mentioned. You can get bright yellow with electric blue around it's eyes and outlining it's gills (Lemonpeel angel) or a beautiful bright red with purple stripes (Flame angel) or a fancy blue with redish orange markings (coral Beauty angel) or a bi-color angel of blue and yellow.
As an added bonus they eat algae, even hair algae, so they also keep the tank looking good.They swin in and out of the rocks all day and are very active. The only draw back is that you can only have one unless you have a huge tank, so you have to choose which one.

thumpco

Yes I have a 37 g
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/389951/colorful-fish#post_3450086
okay.. so you question is does anyone have one and would they be okay with the list of fish you provided? like most wrasses it likes to hide in rockwork.. other than that I dont know much about them...Most reef safe wrasses are fairly docile when they have enough space.. so im assuming you have a 30+ gallon tank? They do like to swim alot..

thumpco

I have wanted a dwarf angel for a while, but then I thought he might harrass my other fish b/c he would be the biggest fish in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/389951/colorful-fish#post_3450093
I have only one beef with wrasses...they jump. I don't mean once in a while. I had a nice fairy wrasse, I covered the entire tank with mesh and made a trap door to feed the fish...While I was feeding the fish it jump out and landed behind my 90g tank where I can't reach it without a pinching reacher....yep that was a very dead fish by the time I got to it. I swore off ever getting another one.
If you have a 30g tank, a dwarf angelfish has awesome color, and it will get along with the fish you mentioned. You can get bright yellow with electric blue around it's eyes and outlining it's gills (Lemonpeel angel) or a beautiful bright red with purple stripes (Flame angel) or a fancy blue with redish orange markings (coral Beauty angel) or a bi-color angel of blue and yellow.
As an added bonus they eat algae, even hair algae, so they also keep the tank looking good.They swin in and out of the rocks all day and are very active. The only draw back is that you can only have one unless you have a huge tank, so you have to choose which one.

spanko

I would not recommend a Bicolor Angelfish Centropyge bicolor as they can get bigger than some of the others you mentioned Flower and in a 30 their max size would probably get some real aggression out of them.
JMO

thumpco

I typically like to buy smaller pretty fish. Like I have trying to locate a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse forever

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///t/389951/colorful-fish#post_3450168
I would not recommend a Bicolor Angelfish Centropyge bicolor as they can get bigger than some of the others you mentioned Flower and in a 30 their max size would probably get some real aggression out of them.
JMO
My last lemonpeel is a whopping 3 inches after 2.5 years, my new one is at least 8 months old and is 2.5 inches. In the wild they might get to be 4.5' to 5' but I have never actually seen a dwarf larger than 4 inches after many years. I have a lemonpeel dwarf angel, 2 clowns. lawnmower blenny and an orchid dottyback they all get along like little buddies. I wouldn't know about bi-colors, I have only had the Lemonpeel and flame angel.
Like I said wrasses are into committing sushi by jumping. A dottyback or Royal Gramma is a better alternative if you want only 2" to 2.5' fish. It's just my opinion, You stock your tank the way you want with what you want....
If you still want a wrasse, cover that top. You need the top open for oxigen exchange so a glass top won't do, plus the tiny sliver of space in the back will let the fish through. I made a mesh top out of nylon screen material and egg crate. I attached it with real little nylon zip ties. It did darken the lights into the tank a little and I had to rinse it every week to remove salt creep, but it worked until the fish decided to jump while being fed when I had the corner open.

thumpco

I wouldn't want a dottyback or gramma b/c of my firefish goby. I will look into coral beauties I have like that for a long time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/389951/colorful-fish#post_3450173
My last lemonpeel is a whopping 3 inches after 2.5 years, my new one is at least 8 months old and is 2.5 inches. In the wild they might get to be 4.5' to 5' but I have never actually seen a dwarf larger than 4 inches after many years. I have a lemonpeel dwarf angel, 2 clowns. lawnmower blenny and an orchid dottyback they all get along like little buddies. I wouldn't know about bi-colors, I have only had the Lemonpeel and flame angel.
Like I said wrasses are into committing sushi by jumping. A dottyback or Royal Gramma is a better alternative if you want only 2" to 2.5' fish. It's just my opinion, You stock your tank the way you want with what you want....
If you still want a wrasse, cover that top. You need the top open for oxigen exchange so a glass top won't do, plus the tiny sliver of space in the back will let the fish through. I made a mesh top out of nylon screen material and egg crate. I attached it with real little nylon zip ties. It did darken the lights into the tank a little and I had to rinse it every week to remove salt creep, but it worked until the fish decided to jump while being fed when I had the corner open.

thumpco

Don't worry I don't like the bicolor anyways
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///t/389951/colorful-fish#post_3450168
JMO