Colorful Setup - Please Input

john-nyc

Is there a way to get a FOWLR tank as colorful as a Reef tank ??
Fish only always look so much more drab than reef tanks. Is it a choice you need to make at the very start whether you want fish or corals ??
Side by side reefs just look so much better in my opinion.

bronco300

you should decide now...dont have to...but it will decide what lighting you need,etc. if you go reef of fish only (also no need to make more than one thread of the same questions)

joebob7

i have a tank that didnt have good lights and i couldnt afford everything with lights so i just let it cycle with stock lighting and now i can afford to get the lights

john-nyc

Thanks for the replies.
I'm starting to think I'm gonna go with a 75g Reef for the simple fact that in a 75g FOWLR you really cant put many fish in it anyway due to bio overload so then might as well go with a Reef and just 3 or 4 fish. I know cost is more due to the lighting but everything else pretty muuch stays the same.
Please feel free to disagree if I'm missing something

katiev

Hey! a 75g isn't a nano! What were you thinking?

Good choice. I would say reef tanks are quite a bit more expensive than FOWLR tanks, though. There are many other costs associated with reef tanks vs. FOWLR tanks other than lighting -- i.e., calcium supplements for corals, phytoplankton, etc. I think in the long run, you'll be happy you chose a reef. I agree with your reasoning, too -- a 75g fish only is rather limited. I think the whole point of having a fish only is getting those awesome tangs and puffers and lionfish, no? If it were a 125g or bigger, I'd would choose FOWLR.

john-nyc

I know I know... I posted it in the Nano section beacuse I wanted to get the opinion from the reef people. If I decide to get a reef I'll just to a 30 or less.
Thanks for the reply.