Colorful Tanks - Please Input

john-nyc

Is there a way to get a FOWLR tank as colorful as a Reef tank ??
Fish only always look so much more drab than reef tanks. Is it a choice you need to make at the very start whether you want fish or corals ??
Side by side reefs just look so much better in my opinion.

wattsupdoc

You can have a pretty colorful FOWLR. Coraline algea will be a great help here. Also Inverts like feather dusters starfish, and some other non light needy inhabitants will make a difference. Then pick the right combination of fish and it should be pretty colorful. But not like some of the awesome tanks you see here.

john-nyc

Thanks for the replies.
I'm starting to think I'm gonna go with a 75g Reef for the simple fact that in a 75g FOWLR you really cant put many fish in it anyway due to bio overload so then might as well go with a Reef and just 3 or 4 fish. I know cost is more due to the lighting but everything else pretty muuch stays the same.
Please feel free to disagree if I'm missing something

wattsupdoc

i think you're making a good choice there, but there is a substantial higher cost in the reef. Not just because of the lighting. But also, corals can be pricey, especially if you're after the colorful ones, and you are. Also maintenence is more, corals generally need specific water parameters, and dont do so well when they shift much away from what they need. Greater flow is generally a concern for them also. you can get away with 10 x 15 times turnover on a FOWLR or even a reef with softies and LPS, but the SPS are definetly in need of more.(if thats what you're working towards) Also reef is more addicting.
Seee you're hooked allready!
But if you can get in with a reef club or find some local reefers that you can do some fragging with, that can help you out a bunch.

bruder

Not to be rude, and I know it isn't my place, but you have posted this same question in three separate sections of the forum, including the nano section. You said in another thread that you are getting a 75g...not exactly a nano.
Like everything else in the SW hobby, patience...

john-nyc

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
i think you're making a good choice there, but there is a substantial higher cost in the reef. Not just because of the lighting. But also, corals can be pricey, especially if you're after the colorful ones, and you are. Also maintenence is more, corals generally need specific water parameters, and dont do so well when they shift much away from what they need. Greater flow is generally a concern for them also. you can get away with 10 x 15 times turnover on a FOWLR or even a reef with softies and LPS, but the SPS are definetly in need of more.(if thats what you're working towards) Also reef is more addicting.
Seee you're hooked allready!
But if you can get in with a reef club or find some local reefers that you can do some fragging with, that can help you out a bunch.
You just through a monkey wrench in my thinking. The problem would be stability of temp. I'm in a basement apartment and the temp swing down here are bad all year round. AC in the summer on and off and it heats up fast down here and in the winter gets cold pretty quick but I guess a heater will stable me in the winter but summer will be the biggest problem.
I put it in the nano section also because most people there are Reef people and I wanted to see what they think about colorful tanks such as reef as compared to FO