Colt Help

secondtry

I recently bought a colt coral. I know these have a high success rate so I wasnt that concerned where i placed it. Well, now he doesn't look so hot. He 's fairly droopy - like a plant that needs water. Do they need a lot of light, i can move him up, and what about current. and what does he look like when he's dead. (he's not yet) any help, I know you all have one of these!

volitan

My Colt likes medium light and very low flow. As for what they look like when they're dead, hopefully I'll never be able to tell you! HTH

predator

One of my colts took awhile to really adjust to my tank. I have one colts and they both love the light. One sits toward the top of the tank and actually has branches that are at the top of the water. But my other one likes it a little deeper.
As far as a dead colt, there would not be much to look at. It's a soft coral so all you would have left is a bunch of slime and the rock it came on.<a href="http://hometown.aol.com/flmeangl44/index.html" target="_blank">click here to see my reef.</a>

k.lee

Is your specific gravity in the tank low? I'd try and keep it at 1.023 minimum in the upper 70 degree mark. If you need to raise the S.G., do it slowly.
Are there any other corals in the tank, and do you have good lighting? I think Coltie corals do well with good water flow. One opf the lfs (now under different management) had a HUGE Colt, and it was in the top of the tank where flow was highest.
HTH
Lee

bigred

Mine likes it in the corner of my tank where there isn't much current and at the bottom. He has tripled in size in 3 monthes.

digglah

I have a HUGE colt in my tank.. and ... the more light it receives.. the more it thrives... it also really seems to like medium to high water current, just as long as it isn't soooo much current that her branches can't all extend in their respective directions.

wrassecal

I've had my colt in bottom fron corner of my 55gal tank and it loves it. I've had it a month now and it's growing like crazy, had to move a piece of live rock it's getting so tall. Medium light there and just enough current for it to just kind of sway a little bit. :)