Colt not staying put

sleeper

Hi all. I was at MACNA last weekend and I picked up a free colt frag after a fragging class there...
Anyway, the toothpick they used to fix the colt stem to the rock it was on ended up coming out of the colt and now it's got a "fleshwound" in its stem and my coral is moving all around the tank.
It's obviously not ideal. Any suggestions on how to affix the frag in one place since I can't really do it the usual way now?

sergeant

I would use a small net to keep it from floating around. Once it settles on a rock it will attach it self to it. You can use rubber bands to hold a piece of net against the rock. Do not hold the coral against the rock with the rubber band. It will either cut it in half or kill it. Good luck.

sleeper

Do you mean stick the colt in like a stocking or something and then affix the stocking to the rock?

saltcreep

I frag my colts all the time and use regular needle and thread to sew the base to a small rock. A few weeks you can cut the thread and it will stay.

Y

yetti

How far down the branch do you go when you do? Is there a particular stem size that you go for?

kdfrosty

I frag my Colt and use the toothpick method like you described. I would use the toothpick method again if I were you. Just make sure that the rubberband is holding the toothpick/frag tightly to a piece of rubble.
Personally I use plastic sword type toothpicks. I've found that it's easier for the rubberband to stay put on these type of toothpicks.
I usually cut frags of about 4". I never cut directly off the main stalk, though...only from stalks branching off of the main stalk. That way if something goes wrong I will always have what I originally started with.