compact flourescents?

30 hex

O.K., so you should have a certain ammount of watts per gallon. How do you rate it with all the fancy new bubs. I have a mini might with 9 watt bulbs. But they say the bulbs are as bright as 60 watt bulbs. So wich is it 9 or 60? also which is better osram or philips? are the spectrums diffrent

adrian

I think I responded to tis post on another board, but your bulbs are 9 watts not sixty, they may have the intensity of 60 watt bulbs that I dont know. IMO your going to have trouble keeping any photsynthetic coral in a 30 hex under two 9 watt bulbs. Watts are a poor thing to go by when lighting a reef tank. Why not try a MH, this will give you intensity, and they work much better on hex tanks than do any flourescents. HTH

30 hex

thanks for the feedback. this is the first time and only forum i asked this question. I dont want anyone thinking im a P.I.A. asking the same question over and over. I am ot actually planing on keeping corals at this point since i will be moving in about 6 months. my plan right now is to grow some live rock, a nice clean up crew and 2 or 3 small fish for color.But when i move watch out, Ill realy be asking what you guys will think are really stupid questions,but hey, i gotta learn and i will take advantage of all you guys knowledge. i really appreciate the help and apply it to my tank.
:D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :D

adrian

My mistake. Im not sure how live rock would do under that light, it really dosnt need a lot of light so you might get lucky.
[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: ADRON420 ]