Compatablilty

spkdtch

once my new 125 tank is up ill have my aggressive tank. No fish for it yet but i would like a lion fish, eel, shark, ray, stone fish, and a porcupine puffer, but i know i cant put them all in the same tank, so what would get along with what?
i was hoping a shark and porcupine puffer and maybe a stone fish or lionfish if i get lucky and find a puffer that wont nip, but how would the porc treat the shark? would the shark eat the other fish if they were bigger?
any other suggestions are welcome, i need ideas for my aggressive tank, i finally can have one

john harlan

a 125 is to small for the shark and ray and the puffer will nip and probably end up killing the lion how about a nice trigger instead of the lion

spkdtch

i thought about it but ive never really been a fan of triggers, i dont like the shape of their bodies, just looks weird to me
i do want a porc puffer most

crypt keeper

so get a couple tangs and the porc puffer. Then get a zebra moray eel and call it a tank. color movement and the puffer

oceanboy13

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3090580
so get a couple tangs and the porc puffer. Then get a zebra moray eel and call it a tank. color movement and the puffer
that sounds like a nice tank id go with that id be envious and willing to trade my tank with u for that lol

crypt keeper

I would do
Porky Puffer
Pygmy Angel. Bi color or Flame or Coral beauty or a mixture of the two.
Tangs. Probably a purple and yellow or purple and kole. I would def get two.
Just because they grow slow and are goregous IMO Red Sea Assasi Trigger.
Zebra eel. Everybody has a snowflake.

meowzer

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3090638
I would do
Porky Puffer
Pygmy Angel. Bi color or Flame or Coral beauty or a mixture of the two.
Tangs. Probably a purple and yellow or purple and kole. I would def get two.
Just because they grow slow and are goregous IMO Red Sea Assasi Trigger.
Zebra eel. Everybody has a snowflake.

Originally Posted by Rdub62

http:///forum/post/3090649
^ She's losing it...xD
J/k but you lost me with that one...
LOL...I was referring to the above comment...that everyone has a snowflake,,,wellll I don't have one....do you??

rdub62

Oh sorry I must have over looked that part. I generally scroll down too fast.
But yes I do...but he's my buddy!
Although I have to admit...the Hawaiian Dragon Moray Eel is a much more gorgeous fish...
But no complaints...have yet to train other fish to eat out of my hand...or wrap around it without biting me...stupid domino damsel! xD.
Again, Sorry for my mistake.

rdub62

I got all caught up trying to google "Sea Assasi Trigger" and kept coming up with images of ninja's and other assassins that i didn't read the rest of his post.

spkdtch

what is it that makes the puffer nip? like if i had a 200gallon tank and could keep a shark, what would make the puffer nip it(if at all)? i understand a lionfish with all the dangly stuff, not not the shark

spkdtch

i dont plan on upgrading for a long time, just curious if i had a big enough tank if the puffer would nip the shark/ray and if so, why
as cool as the porc puffer is, seems kinda like a jerk lol

rdub62

it's just not a good idea...puffer will be fine with some other fish in a 125 probably be very happy.

spkdtch

oh im sure it will be, im not going with a shark or ray for this tank, i was just curious what makes the puffer want to nip

crypt keeper

they just do. They have been known to nip power head cords. They just nip. Its what they do. All the bigger puffers do this. Get him small. I have seen them in the 3 inch range a lot. They grow fast,. He should be okay in your tank for a few years. They do get big.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by spkdtch
http:///forum/post/3090997
oh im sure it will be, im not going with a shark or ray for this tank, i was just curious what makes the puffer want to nip
Puffers are powerful crustaceans eaters. As with most animals it's a 'bite first, ask questions later" policy. It's more important to grab a meal, then to sit back and debate about it, and then have that little shrimp or whatever scamper off and you miss that opportunity for food.
Cat sharks spend most of their time lying on the bottom, typically where puffers hunt. Puffers don't intend to go eat a shark, but the shark's fin waving in the current, or their shiny eye, could look like something else to the puffer, then of course it only takes one accidental bite from the puffer to do some serious damage to the shark.