Compatibility

lionfish

I was wondering if I could put a lionfish,a purple tang,a flame angel,a yellow tang,a tomato clown and small panther grouper in a 75 gallon tank over the next year?

fishgirl

the only major problemo w/ this is that the Yellow and purple tangs will not get along! They have simlilar (in my opinion virtually identical) body shapes, and thus, they will compeat over territory, no matter how big the tank is. Pick either the yellow or purple (whichever one you really have your heart set on) and then pick another tang with a compleatly different body shape, ex: clown tang, or powder blue tang, to replace the other tang. Hope this helps!

hasq

I agree with FG; however, this tank may become a little crowded in 18mo. or so. Those groupers and lionfish (depending on species and especially turkey lions) can really grow!! Any combination in excess of 20-25 total inches of fish will represent a tremendous bio-load, especially with sloppy, predatory feeders like groupers and lions.

fishgirl

I do have to say that maybe either the lionfish or the grouper will have to go, and i'm thinking the grouper b/c they get very very big. So now your total fish (in the order that you should introduce them) should be the following:
1 tomato clown
1 flame angel
1 lionfish
1 clown or reagal tang
1 purple or yellow tang
Hope this satifys you, and good luck -- they're awesome fish.

[This message has been edited by Fishgirl (edited 04-20-2000).]

fishgirl

new thought: unless you really have your heart set on the lionfish, he really dosn't go with all the other fish you want to keep. I might get an angelfish to replace his spot -- but NOT another DWARF one, b/c it wouldn't get on well w/ the flame angel.

lionfish

Thanks everybody! Does anybody want to recommend an angelfish I could put in place of a lionfish. Also, would it make a difference of what kind of lionfish I get. I was planning on getting a small dwarf lionfish.

fishgirl

A dwarf lion could work, but you can never be sure. I'd recomend maybe an Emperor angel, since I've heard they're some of the hardiest non-dwarf angels.