Compatible tangs

I havent done much research on it yet but I was wondering what kind of tangs can be housed in the same tank. I have seen yellows and blue hippos in the same tank at the LFS but that is really not a reliable source to go by. Your input is appreciated, thanks.

I have a 72g hex (still cycling), with about 30-40 lbs of LR, with about another 50 lbs. to be added (before fish introduction, ofcourse). I know about all the rules on loading a tank but not have not yet gotten into tangs, this is why I ask. I know certain tangs cannot be housed together, which ones though? I do appreciate your input and others. Have a nice day...

fishtanker

you could mix a yellow and hippo tang, as long as the fish aren't of the same body shape and u put them in together u should be ok...a full grown yellow and hippo would be to big for a 72bow however, if u got them small (2"-3") u could house them together for a little while. u would have to upgrade though the hippo would eventually get large and have to be removed. IME
BTW where are u from in NY wolf?

flamehawk

How long is the hex. I don't believe its long enough and thus does not allow enough swimming space for even 1 tang. IMO a yellow could be housed in a 4' long tank but nothing less than that. Certainly not two or three in hex.
That said, to answer the question....AS long as they are from different families and have different colors and shape, s/b ok. I have a sohal, yellow tang and hippo in a 125g. Sohal was last to be added. Occasionally the sohal chases the hippo. My guess is because of similar shape. Overall they do fine. Good luck.

bang guy

Personally... I wouldn't consider a Tang for that tank... sorry :(
They need to swim or their lifespan is remarkable decreased.

nerdy

If you were to mix in that tank (I don't think I would put even one)
I think that a hippo tang and a Kole tank go execellent together!

flamehawk

By answering your question about compatability, I didn't want to be misinterperted......no tan gshould be put into a hex tank that is less then 4'wide/long. I've never sen one that wide/long so the short answer is no tang in a hex.