Complete Filtration

turtle

I just finished taking down my 65 gallon reef tank. Now I want to upgrade to a 120 gallon tank with a better (less maintainance) filtration. Many people suggest going with the Echo System filtration. Just want to get everyones opinion on the best low maintainence filtration out there. Please respond.
Thanks,
Turtle:p

saltyrich

The best filtration is plenty of good live rock and plenty of live sand (4-6" dsb), great circulation, and well-setup refugium. A great skimmer is important IMO also. I can't help with your other question. I've never dealt with a tank that size.

ocellaris_keeper

The best filtration is plenty of good live sand (4" dsb) over a cheap (don't hook it up) undergravel filter, 50 to 100 lbs of Live Rock, three power heads (two at opposite ends of the tank with foam collectors (clean every two days) ($30.00 each) and one in the middle for good circulation, a protien skimmer rated 50 gal above your tank size, and a cheap filter ($35.00 to $65.00) (remove the filter and use Chemi-pure for water clarity).
The undergravel filter will create an anerobic "dead" zone where nitrate will be consumed.
the DSB will be your primary bio-filter (I like to use LR for some filtering but more for show) which is why I don't like 1 lb per gallon - too much rock.
The Protien skimmer will remove unwanted nutrients.
the cheap filter is one of those hang one things - take everything out of it and put in the $7.99 chemi-pure medium (this will keep your water pristine and needs to be replaced every 6 months.
this setup is called a modified Berlin or what is now called the English/American method.
It works for me without hardly any work. Clean the foam, clean the skimmer collector cup and throw in fish food... that's about it.