Complete newbie

jennie

Hello,
My son Noah will be 8 this year and I am sure he will be the next Crocodile hunter when he grows up. He just informed me that he doesn't want any toys from Santa just a saltwater fish tank. We have been on this site every day since. The thing is that I know that I am the one taking care of it and I am completely clueless. I think we are getting him a 55 gallon. I have read books and they all seem to counter each other. Would someone be so kind as to tell me how to start and what cycling means and what equipment is needed and anything that might help.
I appreciate all of your help
Jennie
Jenniex@connecttime.net

jmick

I highly recommend the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner. This book will address many of the questions you will have.

fish man

I agree with that book. I am a beginner and it has helped me figure out several things.
Some of the things you will need will be a saltwater test kit. A saltinity test. Some kind of good filteration. Just a few things to start with. But do a lot of reading and it will all come to you. You can always get on this site for info.

mr_bill

Welcome Jennie,
There is a FAQ(frequently asked questions) at the top of most of these forums that will give you alot of great information. You will want to hunt around locally for a good LFS(Local fish store), if they tell you to wait only 3 or 4 days before adding fish then keep looking because that is a bad LFS.
You will want to start with deciding what kind of tank you want to end up with, fish only, reef, aggressive fish, ect. Cycling a tank has to do with getting your Nitrogen cycle in place and functioning for the breakdown of harmful chemicals that are produced by fish, excess food, or decay.
Things you will want to keep in mind for purchase are things like lighting and filtration, saltwater tanks require alot more of both for most applications.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Jmick
I highly recommend the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner. This book will address many of the questions you will have.
(also check out Fenner's website for a goldmine of information plus you can email him and his staff at wetwebmedia)
Yep... that's a MUST read. Not only will it answer your questions, but it explains (in simple terms) the reasoning behind everything.
Now, about the tank size. Any chance of bumping it up? For your money, shop around. You might be able to get a 75 or 90 at close to the same price. If you can, do it. The bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain.
Awesome Christmas gift.