Completely new to SW

dedwards

Ok here is my deal. I have had several fresh water tanks over the years and have decided to turn my 20 gallon tank to SW. So far I have 2 filters setup, powerhead and heater running. My SG is around 1.019-1.02 and temp is 78-80. I have 20lbs of living sand in so far and plan on adding some live rock this week. What I don't quite understand is cycling. Can someone take a few minutes to explain the steps in a normal cycle and obvious signs that it is going through cycles? Also when would be a good time to add fish? Thanks for any help.

E

essop3

Welcome!!!
Before you add rock get you SG up to 1.025.
The cycle... Fish waste and left over food breaks down into ammonia. You will probably get an ammonia spike if you are adding uncured rock. If its cured from the local fish store you can add a raw cocktail shrimp and let it disolve. Ammonia is very toxic to fish.
The ammonia will then be converted to Nitrite. Nitrite is still pretty toxic. This is done by bacteria that will develop on the rocks, sand and other surfaces. After a few more weeks the tank will deveop another bacteria that will break the Nitrite into Nitrate. Nitrate is tolerable but you still don't want much.
Nitrates are removed through water changes, plants, or a deep sand bed.

dedwards

Thanks for the info. Do I need to cycle the live sand before I put any fish, inverts or live rock in the tank?

kogle

You should cycle the tank before adding any live stock. This process can take 4+ weeks. You will know the tank is cycled when your amonia and nitrites both raise and lower back down to 0. Hope that helps and good luck!

dedwards

Thanks...yeah that helped out. Local shop said that it was safe to add livestock 24-48 hours after starting the tank. Is that way off base? Any ideas on how to get the live sand to cycle? Toss in some frozen shrimp and let the bacteria have a go at it?
Edit: I checked my levels today ~24hrs since startup and my Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and looks like Nitrates are around 10. Sound right after 24hrs? Sorry for the n00bish questions...going to pickup a book tonight so hopefully that will answer some basic questions.

bigarn

You can put a frozen shrimp in or feed the tank just like there are fish in there. Sounds like cycleing hasn't started yet...Be patient, it will.
NO livestock until the cycle is complete and ammonia and nitrites are 0. After this, you can add inverts and see how they do before adding fish. :D

dedwards

Thanks everyone. Looks like I get to watch the sand move around my tank for a couple of weeks. It's amazing how easily I can be entertained...lol

sw65galma

Originally posted by DEdwards
Thanks everyone. Looks like I get to watch the sand move around my tank for a couple of weeks. It's amazing how easily I can be entertained...lol

You can "feed" your "invisible" fish, With some flake food.
But ya your Loco Fish store is WAY OFF BASE...wait 24hrs ROFLAMO!!! more lile 24Hrs X 30 lol!

dedwards

The only thing that I can think of is that they must have been thinking LR and not live stock. Or maybe they misheard me...dunno. Anyway I got 6# of LR today and put it in to kickstart a cycle and so far have gotten a few stow-aways. Not sure what they are yet so gotta research a bit. Definately going to need new lights sooner than i thought. 15watt lights aren't going to cut it...lmao. Wasn't expecting new lights until I got some live stock. Will post what came with the LR when I identify it.

sw65galma

The only thing that I can think of is that they must have been thinking LR and not live stock. Or maybe they misheard me...dunno. Anyway I got 6# of LR today and put it in to kickstart a cycle and so far have gotten a few stow-aways. Not sure what they are yet so gotta research a bit. Definately going to need new lights sooner than i thought. 15watt lights aren't going to cut it...lmao. Wasn't expecting new lights until I got some live stock. Will post what came with the LR when I identify it.

I see your into photography..post some pics..

dedwards

Working on getting a clear photo. Seems my 300mm lens doesn't like my tank and my 18-55mm lens doesn't like to focus on it clearly. Wiill post a pic as soon as I can get a clear one...lol:hilarious

scotts

DE, First off WELCOME to the board.
Glad to see that you are starting out better than I did. I jumped in listening to the lfs and wallet open. :confused: I would recommend doing a search on this forum (top right of screen) for cycle or cycling. You will find answers to questions that you did not know to ask.
As far as you picture, hard to tell, but it could be some type of urchin. Some people like them, but I personally don't. At least the hitchers that I had ate coralline. (If you are not sure what that is, do a search(top right of screen)).
My big recommendation. Research EVERYTHING before you buy it. I bought a beautiful 3" fish at the lfs. Then I found this board and learned about researching things. Turns out this beautiful fish completley changes color and grows to about 18" long.
HTH. Sorry if I sound like a dweeb, it is still early in the morning here.
Scott

sw65galma

The spiney item in the middle. Kind of brownish green...any ideas?

Create a new thread...call it something like "ID Spiney thing Please" ...that'll get peoples attention.

dedwards

Thanks Scott...I was thinking that it might be an urchin as well but wasn't real sure. I found another one on the same piece of LR. I have read many threads now about cycling and have a pretty good grasp on the subject, well atleast a good enough grasp to understand how a tank cycles. I wanted to search for what it was and not bother with silly ?'s but I had no idea what to search for...lol (Hence the reason for posting it in this thread) I have become weary of our LFS, even though I have been going there for years for FW fish. Sorry to hear about your 3" now 18" fish. Never is any fun to have a fish that quickly out grows your tank or expectations.
sw65galma
I started a new thread...I hate to become the one that everyone hates due to common questions.

sw65galma

sw65galma
I started a new thread...I hate to become the one that everyone hates due to common questions.

Don't worry about it...we were all there once...
There are just a few people on here who ask stupid questions on purpose to get a rise out of people.
So I dont' think you have anything to be worried about.