Completely New

z-r0

Hey Everyone,
Im new to the fish scene and this forum (obviously). I havent ever had any kind of fish but I recently got interested in the whole SWF hobbie. I want to get a whole setup for xmas. I went to my LFS and found out what it takes to set one up, the guy said for salt water he wouldnt recommend anything less than 55g, therefore i want at least a 60 maybe an 80 depending on the cost. Can anyone give me advice on what kind of filters, skimmers, and everything else i would need and whats the best. Whats the best kind of fish to start out with? I really would like to have a porcupine puffer, maybe an eel, sting ray, im not sure whether i like the fish more or the rays, eels, sharks, etc. Someone plz give me advice. Thanks

nm reef

Hello and welcome to our forums...always a pleasure to see new hobbyists!
Sounds like you are checking into things before you continue and thats a good thing. I'd urge you to consider a good book on the hobby like The Conscientious Marine Aquarist ...or maybe do a google search for a on-line article titled "Reefkeeping 101"...either will help a lot.....good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.